Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie
jimbo_7

posted on 22/5/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote

Hi Guys

I have posted this message on the avon forum already so apologies if you have seen this already. I am looking to build my own 7 replica and have around 6-7k to build it, i have no experience of doing this sort of thing before, what are the MK's like to build and how easy are they to follow in terms of the build manuals etc and support you get from MK. Do you need lots of experience with cars to build one?
thanks in advance..
James

Paul G

posted on 22/5/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

I built my R1 Indy in 6 months, outside with no garage, the only power tool I used was a drill and the only mechanical experience I'd had before was with my Lego Technic 20 years previously! The MK build manual is all but useless (why dont they sort this out?!) but they are great at support on the phone or go to the factory and take lots of pics of cars being built. This site is invaluable and so too are the build diaries of MK owners on here (Hellfire for one)

Get a kit ordered you know it makes sense!

ditchlewis

posted on 22/5/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second paul g's comments.

I've found the build easy and if you cannot get an answer from MK than just put a post on here and your problem will be solved.

ditch

donut

posted on 22/5/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I too have had no previouse (honest Guv) when i built my 1st MK Indy and it was alot easier than i thought especially when you get help from the superb people on this forum.

Go for it!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 22/5/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Build manual as much use as a chocolate fireguard, But MK as said already are very helpful and any other help you need is on here, Has anyone mentioned bike engines yet!
Go for it,
Steve.

Hellfire

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think I may have inadvertantly mentioned Bike engines in the other thread on this subject. It just slipped out without me realizing......... honest. I might have some form of tourettes.

Bike engine.

martyn_16v

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen the 'build manual' that you can download from the mk website, is that really all they give you, or is there a slightly better one when you actually get a kit? Because the one on the website is a bit on the vague side... all adds to the fun of the build I suppose

Oh, hello btw. I've finally convinced the mrs to let me build a car, so now i've just got to get shot of the current car(s) to make some garage space

Guinness

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
yup, just checked it out and that is the build manual i got when i picked up the kit

Same as most of the guys above, small bit of tinkering with tin tops when i was younger / skint. Brakes, alternators, batteries that sort of thing. Gave up when i started running company cars.

Ordered the kit at Newark 04, picked up Harrogate Show 04, on the SVA'd and on the road by Nov 05. Working under a car port slowed things down during the winter months.

As stated above, this site gives excellent advice (mostly) and MK are dead helpful on the phone.

Mike

oh yeah, did i mention i have a bike engine in mine. not sure if anyone has mentioned it?!

[Edited on 23/5/06 by Guinness]

DarrenW

posted on 24/5/06 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I think I may have inadvertantly mentioned Bike engines in the other thread on this subject. It just slipped out without me realizing......... honest. I might have some form of tourettes.

Bike engine.

Its a rare version called BECourettes!!!!!!

Mike - you dont just have a Bike engine, you forgot to mention the fireworks sound effects Just spotted avatar - when did you paint it red???

Ref Build manuals - you dont need one. Once you make a start and follow the first few steps in a logical order any build starts to make sense. Just takes some thought at first so that you dont permanently fix something in place to find it has to come off later. All i did was take loads of photos at Mac#1 whenever i was passing so i could suss the next few stages out. The now have a good photo library themselves. Destruction manuals take the fun and individuality out of it.
Some people even buy the steel in kit form!!!!!! Mad or what

[Edited on 24/5/06 by DarrenW]

martyn_16v

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I just have visions of me standing in the middle of a big pile of bits holding something up and thinking 'Which way up does this go? And come to think of it, what the bleeding jaysus is it?'

I can fully appreciate that it all becomes a whole load clearer once it's actually there in front of you, I remeber the same feelings of trepidation back when I did my first Megasquirt install, and the first time I decided to do anything more complicated than change a sparkplug in fact

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.