Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel Squeal!
Paul G

posted on 19/6/06 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel Squeal!

Morning all,

Got an annoying squeeling noise coming from my front driverside wheel. I took the brakes off, put loads of copperslip on the back of the pads but it still does it. I'm pretty sure its the brakes cos it goes off when I press the brake pedal but is it possible it could be a wheel bearing - and when the brakes are applied they clamp the disc in a more upright position so the wheel is held steadier, hence not not causing the noise from the bearing? It also doesnt do it when there is no weight on the front wheel.

Cheers

Paul

mookaloid

posted on 19/6/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked for stones etc stuck in there somewhere?
Danozeman

posted on 19/6/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
It could be the bearing squeeking. Are they new? Is there any play in the brg to allow the disc to move slightly so it rubs the pad?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Marcus

posted on 19/6/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
More likely to be a sticking caliper. Mine's doing exactly the same - just saving up for Wilwoods!

If you drive the car very slowly and dip the clutch, does the car come to a slightly abrupt halt or not. You shouldn't be able to detect yourself actually stopping if the calipers are free. (does that make sense?)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 19/6/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Jack the offending wheel up and rock it top to bottom and side to side with the steering locked, then try it with the brake on to see if it is different, spin the wheel to see if it's sticking and if there's any roughness in the bearing. Get physical with it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Paul G

posted on 19/6/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yep checked for stones there doesnt seem to be anything stuck in there. I didnt replace the front bearings when I built it cos they 'seemed' ok but there doesnt appear to be any wobble or play in it. I've also tried spinning the front wheels and they both spin freely enough so I'm not sure if the caliper is sticking or not. I really dont know what it is, perhaps I should just take it to a garage to see what they think. Just been for another drive and it only seems to do it after a bit when everythings warmed up, so I dont know what that can point to.

I'll try pulling at the wheel with the brakes on to see if that does anything.

Cheers for the suggestions

[Edited on 19/6/06 by Paul G]

nitram38

posted on 19/6/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Single piston calipers have small sliders inside small bellows type rubbers. This allows the caliper to 'float' side to side and makes sure that both pads recieve equal pressure.
Common cause of sticking is gummed up or rusty sliders.
Just undo the nuts on these and check to see if they are free. If not take them apart and give them a good clean. Rebuild but put some copper grease inside. If the rubbers have holes in, replace them.
Common case of failure is water or brake dust getting inside to foul them up.

Syd Bridge

posted on 19/6/06 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Glazed pads and discs will do exactly as you describe. Take the pads out and rough them with emery, if it still happens, then go looking for something more sinister.

Cheers,
Syd.

Lawnmower

posted on 19/6/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Single piston calipers have small sliders inside small bellows type rubbers. This allows the caliper to 'float' side to side and makes sure that both pads recieve equal pressure.
Common cause of sticking is gummed up or rusty sliders.
Just undo the nuts on these and check to see if they are free. If not take them apart and give them a good clean. Rebuild but put some copper grease inside. If the rubbers have holes in, replace them.
Common case of failure is water or brake dust getting inside to foul them up.

Was going to suggest this too, Common on MX5's

Paul G

posted on 19/6/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas I'll give the pads a good scrub and check out the sliders - thinking back now when I reconditioned them I seem to remember one of the sliders was slightly bent, but just whacked it with a hammer to sort it.... maybe thats the problem!!
Paul G

posted on 20/6/06 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
- It was a problem with the sliders on the caliper, they just weren't sliding! I'd packed them ful of grease when I rebuilt them but must have used the wrong stuff it had all but gone and the slider had siezed in the rubber. I used copperslip instead and it now moves freely and the noise has gone
Cheers for all the suggestions and help

zxrlocost

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
now fugging whale it down the road
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Paul G

posted on 20/6/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Off out to do just that in a min!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.