Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caliper seal kit??
Slater

posted on 22/8/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Caliper seal kit??

Hi. Both of my seirra donor front calipers need new seals and pistons, I also need a seal kit for the rear wheel cylinders.

I just phoned local Ford who say they won't sell seal kits because it's illegal!!!
Then they quoted me £135 each for new calipers, and £18 each for new cylinders. That £306 !!!

My local factor will just sell me the complete items too.

Is there anywhere on the web that will sell the seal kits+pistons or even re-furbished items (for exchange)????

Any other options??

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

andrews_45

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to the guys at Belper Auto Tech, Tell them Carl Andrews told you to call em. They'll sort you out (for a lot cheaper than that too!!)

ask for Ben or Alan 01773 829992

pewe

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Try Kit-Fit in Newark Notts. 01636 893453 John. He supplies second-hand and re-furbed Ford parts. Some time ago piston kit was c.£45! Cheers, Pewe
Winston Todge

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Most autoparts places will do recon Sierra calipers from places like Brakes Int. Mine cost £34 quid with vat a side from Quantoc in Bristol but it's fairly similar at most places...

I was going to reseal my old ones but the cost compared to a full recon caliper was a couple of quid.

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Winston Todge

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Plus wheel cylinders were £3 at Halfords. But they are discontinued now from them so may be hard to get hold of...

I can't believe I got my rear shoes for £3 too!

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul G

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.biggred.co.uk

These sell the seal kits - I've used them a couple of times highly recommend them

Slater

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies.

brakesint have new calipers at £38 each and cylinders at £7.76 inc VAT

BiggRed have caliper seal kits for £20 and piston for £10 each.

I may as well just go for a complete new caliper, if it's just £8 extra per side.

Mark, I plan to visit MAC#1 in Sept on their open day and hopefull order the kit then.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

02GF74

posted on 22/8/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater

brakesint have new calipers at £38 each and cylinders at £7.76 inc VAT

BiggRed have caliper seal kits for £20 and piston for £10 each.

I may as well just go for a complete new caliper, if it's just £8 extra per side.

of all the crazy ideas! think of all the fun you'll mis out on trying to take the grotty seals out and then struggling for hours to fit them back in, possible knackering the seals and perhaps the calipers too!!

Bluemoon

posted on 22/8/06 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
But BigRed pistons are Stainless steel. Sounds usefull for a car that's standing around alot, i.e you should not get corrosion and pits around the piston seals...
Paul G

posted on 22/8/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
>of all the crazy ideas! think of all the fun you'll mis out on trying to take the grotty seals out and then struggling for hours to fit them back in, possible knackering the seals and perhaps the calipers too!!

True! Youre right Just get some recon ones its a lot less ball ache!

mackei23b

posted on 22/8/06 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I used Big Red for seals and pistons for my calipers, good service.

Cheers

Ian

Slater

posted on 22/8/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mark/All, I checked with Autoparts Inverurie 01467 624489, they do new calipers for £32.48 each (exchange). So thats the cheapest i have found. Bargin!

whitestu

posted on 22/8/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I messed about with the rusty donor calipers before buying new ones - £28 + VAT each exchange from local factors.

Stu

[Edited on 22/8/06 by whitestu]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.