Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheaper Bushes???
kp

posted on 14/11/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cheaper Bushes???

I was just loking at the powerflex web site at top-hat bushes. £13.95 each!!
Are there any cheaper options?

Someone once mentioned bushes for only 30p each on this forum. What are these? Where to get.

Would anyone recommend buying rods of bush material and machining? What is the best material to use? Where would I get such material?

locoboy

posted on 14/11/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
there are a few folks on here and one company i know of (MNR ltd) that would knock you up some custom bushes for beer tokens.

Or if you have the facilities yourself then you can buy Acetal for very stiff competition type bushes or there are other materials IIRC nylatron??? for a more compliant material, these are readily available on Ebay or maybe cheaper at a local plastics supplier.

Both of these materials could be turned by the home machinist if you have the right equipment.

Juat remember you need the steel / stainless steel crush tubes too!.

ATB
Locoboy

Rudy

posted on 14/11/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
If I remeber right, I payed about 140 sterline with delivery, for a full set for my Avon. Try to contact Matthew at Powerflex. I had an exellent service!

Sorry about my English

James

posted on 14/11/06 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Just go to one of the kit companies!

I got mine from MK a few years ago.

I bought steel inners, the bushes and steel outers to weld to wishbones all as a matching set. Means no worries about fitment/compatibility of sizes.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Marcus

posted on 14/11/06 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Acetal for very stiff competition type bushes

Whatever you do, don't buy acetal - that's a hard, brittle, crystalline plastic, widely used in injection moulding to make SOLID things. It cracks and splinters and is not the material to use for bushes!
Some acrylic formulations may be useful (poss typo?).
I'd use nylatron or something similar.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kissy

posted on 14/11/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yes to Nylatron, but only on the fronts and the panhard rod (if a live axle). I have a bar of the stuff if you want enough for a couple of bushes. You need something more compliant (PU or Rubber) for the trailing links as they need to twist to a small degree.

And Marcus is spot-on regarding Acetal, it shatters quite spectacularly.

Dave Bailey

posted on 14/11/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Try Luego.... They have bush kits for about £68.00

Dave B

locoboy

posted on 14/11/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
oops maybe i was on about delrin???

ATB
Locoboy

NS Dev

posted on 14/11/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
quote:

Acetal for very stiff competition type bushes

Whatever you do, don't buy acetal - that's a hard, brittle, crystalline plastic, widely used in injection moulding to make SOLID things. It cracks and splinters and is not the material to use for bushes!
Some acrylic formulations may be useful (poss typo?).
I'd use nylatron or something similar.

Au contraire! Although I wouldn't use it on a locost, acetal is a very good bearing material. We have used it on several rally cars in the past which were absolutely pummelled on forest stages and they were fine. In fact we bent wishbones easier than cracking the acetal!

It's certainly not the best material to use but it is cheap and wears well (i.e. slowly! )

Other options are harder shore polyurethanes that can be machined, or make a steel die and cast your own polybushes.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

kp

posted on 14/11/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

Other options are harder shore polyurethanes that can be machined, or make a steel die and cast your own polybushes.

Trying to cast bushes sound like fun! do you have any info on sourcing the raw 'poly' and things like release agents etc.

Is the 'poly' just plain polyeurethane? Or is it something else?

NS Dev

posted on 14/11/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
no experience but I know somebody that has, will try and find his number.

No idea on release agents either, but I doubt you need them as long as the die is polished well enough.

poly is poyurethane, but there are different compounds of it with different hardnesses.

[Edited on 14/11/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

procomp

posted on 14/11/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the bushes that the manufacturers suply are the same ones as the 30p ones. For an independent car IE 64 bush halfes @ 30p = £19.20 .Just then got to make the inner crush tubes preferably from stainless.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 14/11/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Au contraire! Although I wouldn't use it on a locost, acetal is a very good bearing material. We have used it on several rally cars in the past which were absolutely pummelled on forest stages and they were fine. In fact we bent wishbones easier than cracking the acetal!

EEk!!!

I'm surprised at that, although I could see it working if machined from solid. Would give a completely solid setup - similar in feel to rosejoints - ie zero compliance!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

Alan B

posted on 14/11/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
oops maybe i was on about delrin???

Delrin is a brand name for Acetal

TimC

posted on 14/11/06 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Matt @ Procomp has been noble (and conformed with forum rules I guess) and failed to mention that they supply some bushes that from what I've read/heard are a significant improvement on a locost.

If I wasn't buying what I am (i.e. a car with rod-ends) I'd be talking to Procomp.

procomp

posted on 14/11/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes but the bushes we use will not fit any of the wishbones or brackets used by the other manufacturers and also have to go into a purpose made housing.

cheers matt

NS Dev

posted on 14/11/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
quote:

EEk!!!

I'm surprised at that, although I could see it working if machined from solid. Would give a completely solid setup - similar in feel to rosejoints - ie zero compliance!

Oh yes, certainly not compliant, but free turning with no stiction!!

Peteff

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
My nephew works with plastics, he makes false teeth. I don't think the bushes would look good in gummy pink or various shades of white though. A friend had some delrin which was pre-lubricated which I think he was turning to make swing arm bushes for his bike.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kp

posted on 14/11/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
But who supplies 30p Bushes

quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi the bushes that the manufacturers suply are the same ones as the 30p ones. For an independent car IE 64 bush halfes @ 30p = £19.20 .Just then got to make the inner crush tubes preferably from stainless.

cheers matt

Thanks Matt, but where can I get these 30p Bushes???

chockymonster

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

If I wasn't buying what I am (i.e. a car with rod-ends) I'd be talking to Procomp.

You'll still need 8 of them to mount your seats on

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

procomp

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi sorry thought every one new were to get them from. WISBECH ENGINEERING LTD.

cheers matt

NS Dev

posted on 15/11/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Heh heh thought they were a trade secret Matt!!!

I know of a couple of "high profile" kit car manufacturers that use wisbech engineering bushes!

SAElsing

posted on 19/11/06 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
I am using UHMW for mine. I am turning this down on my lathe. We have been using this for several years for road racing and have not had any problems. If you don' want to purchase UHMW. Cutting boards from the local butcher shop or a processing plant is made of the same material. The problem is it might not be thick enough for the application. If it wears out, it is cheap enough to turn down new ones!

[Edited on 19/11/06 by SAElsing]

"If you have complete control over the damn thing you're not going fast enough" - Carroll Smith

Syd Bridge

posted on 20/11/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
If you want the very best, go to SuperPro, somewhere in Somerset??

Good Aus product and the very best money can buy. A full set with SS bushes is about £70.

They supply replacements for the Triumph Herald/Spitfire bushes as mentioned in 'The Book'.

And then there's the Good ol' QH Y419's......

Cheers,
Syd.

Edit: http://www.superpro.eu.com/Home.htm

andyd

posted on 28/11/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for popping this back to the top but...

I'd like to make my own bushes not for cost but for the challenge. Therefore can someone suggest a supplier for buying rods suitable for the task?

I've googled "Nylatron" (as it was mentioned earlier in this thread) but there seems to be a few variants and I'd like to try to source something fit for purpose.

Wisbech Engineering supply 60 shore urethane bushes so I'm guessing this is the hardness I should be looking for?

Which Nylatron would be the equivalant? Is Nylatron even the same material as the urethane (polyurethane?) that others supply?

Andy

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.