Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Golf Calipers
smdl

posted on 19/1/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Golf Calipers

I am planning to use discs on my Sierra-based De Dion rear, and am considering using the VW calipers that I have heard of others using (same as the Rally Design Hydra-Mechanical units) . Before I go looking for parts, I have a few questions that I am hoping someone here can help with:

1. Will the VW calipers bolt right up to the caliper brackets that many use to put Sierra calipers on their drum-braked cars? More specifically, are the mounting points on both the Sierra and VW calipers the same, or is some sort of an adapater needed to use the VW units?

2. What years/models of VW were these calipers used on?

3. Is there a particular model of VW that it is best to get the handbrake mechanism from, or are they all the same?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Shaun

pathfinder

posted on 20/1/07 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
the mounting points are the same as the sierra.
the calipers can be found on any top spec golf's, seat's, skoda's or audi's from about 2000 onwards. i got mine off an audi tt and the handbrake cable is just the right length!

[Edited on 20/1/07 by pathfinder]

smdl

posted on 20/1/07 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
Great! Thanks, pathfinder.

One other question, though. On the Rally Design website, the photo of this caliper seems to have some sort of adapter bracket on it (the gold bit):

Image deleted by owner

But the picture of the unit from the (relatively) local supplier does not show this part:

Image deleted by owner

Is that bracket a VW part that I will have to get off of the car, as well?

Thanks again!

Shaun

oliwb

posted on 20/1/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
The bracket is the slider carrier (I think) you'll need that to fit the calliper. You might even need to build another bracket to fit the first bracket. Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pathfinder

posted on 20/1/07 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
The carrier came with my callipers, and they are a direct fit to the ford mounts. Think I paid £40 for the pair and they look like new!
pathfinder

posted on 20/1/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
NB:

You have two short handbrake cables with these callipers (think the sierra has one long cable) so you will have to fabricate something to connect it to your lever!

Alan B

posted on 21/1/07 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
What thickness of disc does this caliper fit? It could be the answer to one of my problems.

Cheers,

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 22/1/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
BTTT

Anyone know the thickness of disc that golf rear caliper fits?...some must surely..

Cheers,

Alan

iank

posted on 22/1/07 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Brakes International has 9, 10 or 12mm depending on model and year (http://www.brakesint.com/)

I suspect 9mm is the best choice.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.