Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ladder chassis round tube diameter
tigris

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ladder chassis round tube diameter

I plan to build a street rod with a 300 lb v6 engine. I am going to do a ladder frame with a modified double wishbone setup and a live axle rear. Total weight should be 1200 lbs with composite body.
What size tubing would be best for 2 main rails and cross rails. I am thinking 2" .095 wall or 50mmx2.5mm.

Any thoughts?

Alan B

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds a bit skimpy to me for a two mail rail ladder frame...I'd be looking at more like 4" diameter 1/8"wall or 4 x 2 x 1/8 if using rectangular.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tigris

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
yeah

factory five uses 4"x.120 dom, and they have quite a bit of extra triangulation.
tigris

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping to get by with something lighter due to using lighter components, and a spaceframe is not gonna cut it for this design.
tigris

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I thought about doing a "stacked" ladder frame, with basically 2 ladder frames, then triangulated, merging closer through the driveshaft tunnel. This way I could still bolt on a complete body.
blakep82

posted on 17/7/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
my chassis is made of 2" tube, but is a full space frame, and will run a 3ltr V6. for the main rails on a ladder chassis, i'd got 4" too
Description
Description

[Edited on 17/7/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Chippy

posted on 17/7/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I would use 4" x 2" box section, much easier to fabricate, just straight cuts with no notching to fit. Also much easier to do X brase, whatever. IMHO Ray

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.