Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to make a steering wheel hub from my sierra wheel?
StevieB

posted on 22/10/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
How to make a steering wheel hub from my sierra wheel?

Does anyone have any info/piccies of how to use the ali sierra steering wheel centre to make an adapter to fit any steering wheel.

I have a Westfield wheel and conversion plate (looks like it was used with a QR hub by the last owner): Rescued attachment Westfield Wheel and PLate.JPG
Rescued attachment Westfield Wheel and PLate.JPG

mark chandler

posted on 22/10/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Can you weld ali ?

I hacked the centre out of my old sierra wheel, then stuck the remains in a lathe and cleaned it up leaving a step in the top half to locate.... a bit of 3/8" ali plate, cut a hole in this that the dropped over the hub.

Welded it both sides, then stuck into the lathe again and reduced the plate to the correct size for the steering wheel mountings, dropped it on, drilled the 6mm holes and bolted it up.

Took about an hour, was free but no centre horn push.

Job done but not to everyones taste I guess

StevieB

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly I can't weld anything at all, nor do I have a lathe.

I had thought that'd be the way to do it, I was hopng someone might come up with a more 'rustic' approach though!

OX

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
i cut the center out of the steering wheel and got a friend to machine 6 flat sides on to it to match the original bit to fit the quick release unit .it made swapping the wheel over for the sva a little easier

got a few pictures in the photo archive under busa,,cant seem to get them to show up here

[Edited on 22/10/07 by OX]

higgsti

posted on 22/10/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
that ali adaptor is for fastening to the astrali boss so a momo wheel can be fitted to original boss
richijenkin

posted on 25/10/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, as ox said. best option for me as I cant weld... cant use a lathe either so still had to get a mate to do it.

Rig

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.