Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearbox Playing up still!
charlierevell

posted on 2/6/08 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox Playing up still!

Hey guys,
Got a 954 Blade in an MK Indy on a Rod gear change.
I've mentioned this before but with no real answers so I've looked into it a little further.

Every now and then it misses a gear, normally 3-4th... its like it goes into a false neutral except when you pull it into gear you get a horrible clunk as it sounds like the dogs are smashing together.

The box was rebuilt in December for about £700 by a reputable company so i'd like to think its not that its about to go pop!

Could it be the gear selctor not quite finding home?
It seems ok in other gears just catching the odd silent false neutral.
It does feel odd when it happens, like the lever cant quite get full travel.

Just put a new sump on from AB and there were a few shards of metal in their, nothing major and the oil wasnt very metalic like there had been lots of wear.
Other than that its all good, doesnt seem to slip out of gear when given power either.

Any ideas??

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be your gear-changing technique? Changing gear on a bike is quite different to that on a car (sorry if you already know that <blush> )

This link has very good info - it's for a sequential car gearbox, but the idea's the same. Note the bit about 'not changing gear like in a car'.

David

ChrisGamlin

posted on 2/6/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
False neutrals are not usually complete neutrals, you generally do whack the dogs a bit so it is rather painful to listen to.

If the box is in good nick, it could be a bit of play in your linkage causing the problem, or as David suggests, it could be your technique. The worst way to change gear is lift throttle - clutch down - change gear - clutch up - apply throttle up in 5 almost seperate steps as you would in a normal car. With a sequential you only need the merest of lifts to take the load off the dogs, then a quick stab of the clutch as you bang across the gear as fast as you can, whilst getting back on the throttle.

On the upshifts the clutch is optional and often smoother without, but only when you're on it. If you're pootling around at lower revs its much harder to keep it all smooth so you tend to need the clutch more, but the technique stays the same. When you're going slowly and not concentrating though, you're more likely to be lazy with the lever and not pull it quite as hard so if its generally happening in those kind of situations, try and be a bit more forceful with it even when driving in town etc.

mkindy95

posted on 2/6/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox Playing Up

Hi

i have had a simular thing happen to my Blackbird engine fitted in a MK Indy recently, following removing the sump, i could not see anything wrong.

i removed the clutch and found that the plates were very blue and the clutch smelt as if it had been very hot.

Further investigation found that the selector drum was damaged and badly scored at the point it went from 5th down to 4th this was the gear that was giving me problems.

i am will be removing the selector drum to get a closer look at the gear box to see if any damage to the gears.

Hope this helps.

David

charlierevell

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Technique would seem ok as its good in all the other gears.... Lift, pull and power on is the norm.
I've got a feeling its down to me being slightly hesitant on the change, ie not really going for it and pulling it hard with a light lift.
I'm going to have a play with the linkage this week i think and see if its got much to do with that.

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.