Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Splitting Fireblade crankcase
gingerprince

posted on 11/6/08 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Splitting Fireblade crankcase

Eyup,

I'm following Haynes manual instructions for splitting the crankcase on an 893 blade engine (well, 2 of them actually!). Just after a little clarification on what is actually required.

It says to remove various bits before splitting, including removing camshafts and cylinder head, but then goes on to say that if you're just after accessing the gearset gubbins then you don't need to remove the cylinder head. This makes sense, but in that case is it still neccessary to remove the camshafts, or can the bottom half come off without having to mess about with the valve side of things?

Also, having removed alternator casing etc, it is actually neccessary to remove the rotor? I assume this is just on the end of a spindle, and since this spindle goes through where the case splits then technically it can stay on?

I'll still probably end up doing everything anyway (at least on one engine) - it's the first time I've ever done any sort of engine work so I'm trying to learn as much as possible along the way but hopefully without causing any damage!

These may possibly be dumb questions, which will be blindingly obvious to me once I've got the thing apart and seen how it actually goes together, but first-time blindness and all that makes me ask the question anyhow

Cheers, Sy

ReMan

posted on 11/6/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
From what I think you're doing, no you don't need to touch the crank, cams chain, rotor etc.
But you do need to take out the pivot bolt of the camchain tensioner

[Edited on 11/6/08 by ReMan]

mad-butcher

posted on 12/6/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've put a couple of genuine fireblade manuals as well as a couple of R1 manuals in the public area at my space feel free to download them far better. than haynes
MKIfireblade924.spaces.live.com
Regards
Tony..my link

[Edited on 12/6/08 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 12/6/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers ReMan, should save me some time

Cheers Tony, but that address doesn't seem to work? I have the 96-98 blade manual already for cross-reference, but the earlier blade one would be handy.

mad-butcher

posted on 12/6/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
try now
Link to my space

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 14/6/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Got the spare motor in half now, without removing rotor cheers Bit scary for a non-mechanic like me, but I like dismantling stuff so pleasing

Looks like my plan might be slightly scuppered though. Plan was to replace broken bottom case with bottom case from spare engine, but I've now found out that because of the way the cases are manufactured you have to have matching top-and-bottom cases I knew that was the case e.g. with head and cam-carriers, but they've got numbers engraved into them so it's obvious - didn't know it was the same for the crankcase.

Still, I need to rip apart the main engine anyway to investigate a gearchange issue, so whilst it's apart I'll find someone to weld it whilst its off. Spare engine was good practice!

Bit if a bummer though - and a bit surprising that I see people selling top or bottom crankcases on their own on ebay - are they just fleecing people? What use are they??

like this

and this

mad-butcher

posted on 14/6/08 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I think like most things they bank on people being nieve, personaly I think they're worth f**k all as one would imagine with japanese engineering the casings would be paired up and then reamed as a pair for main bearings gearbox bearings etc

tony

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/6/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, they're going to be machined as a matching pair as the main bearing shells sit half half in the top crankcase, half in the bottom so need to be absolutely spot on otherwise the crank isnt going to run true / freely.

Half a crankcase on its own is worth very little as mentioned, perhaps the only thing you could do is use the top half of some engines as a dummy to work out engine mounts etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.