Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 questions
Mark G

posted on 15/6/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
2 questions

First off, I'm running a 893 blade engine in an MK Indy. The first question is what have other people used to space their propshaft bearing away from the wall of the transmission tunnel? I'm currently using 2 rolls of insulation tape just to hold it in place whilst I'm building and don't have anything else. I don't think Mr SVA will like that much...

Also, I'm thinking about making my gear shift and have some M12 threaded bar with rose joints. Will this be ok to use for the gear shift or do you think it'll be too flexible? What have other people done with their gear shift linkages?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/6/08 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
M12 threaded bar is too thick and heavy for the gear linkage , as are 12mm rosejoints which are more suitable for things like suspension etc.

All you really need is somesome tube with a 6mm internal bore (or machine out some suitable size solid bar), then weld a bit of 6mm threaded bar into each end to take some small rosejoints.

You can see the rose joints Ive used on mine in this pic....

Gearchange rocker top
Gearchange rocker top

They're 6mm thread and are perfectly strong enough to change gear with.

[Edited on 15/6/08 by ChrisGamlin]

worX

posted on 15/6/08 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I could machine a piece of Industrial Nylon for your prop if you want me too?

Steve

adithorp

posted on 15/6/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I used some steel tube (from B+Q) that just fitted some 8mm threaded bar in the end and brazed it in. Then I put 8mm rose joints on the end. On one rod I used one left and one right handed thread to make it easy to adjust. I tried an ally tube but it flexed to much and made the shift spongy.

adrian

Mark G

posted on 15/6/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
I could machine a piece of Industrial Nylon for your prop if you want me too?

Steve

Thats very kind of you, thanks. It'd probably be ideal, I wasn't sure weather to go for ally which will be strong enough but provide no damping or rubber which I thought would have good damping properties but then would it be strong enough.. I guess Nylon would give a mix of both?

If you could make one for me how much would you want for it?

Mark G

posted on 15/6/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris and Adi,

both good ideas, I may have to pop over to B+Q after work tomorrow and see what they have. I do have a length of M10 threaded bar aswell but this is far to flexible, as said above would feel spongy.

I was hoping I'd be able to use the M12 and keep costs down as I already have it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.