Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Specs cameras
r1_pete

posted on 17/6/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Specs cameras

How do specs, average speed cameras work? I thought they digitised all reg plates, at least twice, then used the time between the two cameras to calculate the average speed??

Reason for asking, I came through Nottinghamshire on the M1, there is a 50 limit with specs at roadworks, and cars were comming past like I was stood still, but braking for the cameras.

Have Notts constabulary made a pot of dosh or am I wrong?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 17/6/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
the story is if you change lanes they cannot nab you,they are approved for single lane use only

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Paul (Notts)

posted on 17/6/08 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of local traffic joins for just one junction + no need to slow down until you reach the first camera when you join.

Paul

edit - I have never seen that section of the M1 flow so well as it does with the 50mph speed limit!!!

[Edited on 17/6/08 by Paul (Notts)]

jollygreengiant

posted on 17/6/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I go up and down the M1, M6, M11 (A14 N of Cambridge) & M25 on a regular basis and I ALWAYS set cruise control for the speed camera's at spot on what the speed limit is through the 'specs' zones. It never ceases to amaze me at just how many 'inaccurate' speedos there must be.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 17/6/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
The loop hole that some people belive they can use to avoid these cameras is that they are "type approved for one lane use only" - so if you change lanes you can avoid them! - however the one lane type approval includes the lane under and next to it so you would need to go from lane one to lane 3 or lane 3 to lane 0ne.

Thats as far as I understand it.

Paul

edit -CLIVE after passing SVA the tester said my spedo was spot on at all speeds tested. Then driving down the motorway It seemed like everyone was doing 65mph. the fast lane was only doing 75mph and I was the only one doing ***mph

[Edited on 17/6/08 by Paul (Notts)]

JoelP

posted on 17/6/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
people are veyr stupid, slowing down for the cameras itself. They just dont understand its average speed its working out. I think most are usually off, because ive gone fast through the ones on the A1 at wetherby and not heard owt.

There is a foolish technique whereby you speed from one camera to the next and tailgate a HGV very close through it so it cant see your reg. Once through tear on looking for the next lorry.

blakep82

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
lol theres average speed cameras in Ayr, and they set them up so theres a camera, roundabout, camera, roundabout etc etc. waste of time lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

djtom

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with trying the swap lane technique - SPECS 3 has been type approved for lane change since january (i.e. go through first checkpoint in lane 1, then second one in lane 2)

And even before that, they used to occasionally pair the cameras in lane 1 and lane 2, likewise lane 2 and lane 1.

I had a meeting with the man from Speed Check Services today... cos I'm in a similar type of intelligent transport systems field myself.

They are very very difficult to get around. And the new system they have in type approval will be a nightmare, as it is a network of cameras placed at various locations in a town. It knows the exact location of the cameras and the shortest distance between them. Couple that with knowing the speed limit and you have a system that monitors you between any two cameras of the system via any route and if you cover the route faster than legally possible on the fastest route then you're nicked. SPECS Infinity it's called - it'll be a right bar steward of a system to get around.

To answer the original poster, those people probably got nicked as it sounds like they don't understand the concept and "Gatso" reflexes have set in (stamp on middle pedal!)

There you go - Specs Cameras 101

Hope this helps

Tom

iank

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably they mount them high up to prevent burning tyres or expanding foam tricks.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Presumably they mount them high up to prevent burning tyres or expanding foam tricks.

doesn't stop a shot gun... hmmmm

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

The Great Fandango

posted on 17/6/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
A reasonable question would be:
"has anyone been done for speeding by this system?"

A reasonable statement would be:
"blinkin' numpty if they have"

I'm no fan of speed cameras but I've often wondered why they don't put a SPECS camera gantry every 2 miles or so instead of 'patches' of heavy camera groupings? In theory it wouldn't be too difficult to do cover the whole motorway network.

Then integrate it with the DVLA system for catching road tax evaders.

Seems so simple in principle and would leave the police to get on with the proper work.

[Edited on 17/6/08 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

MikeRJ

posted on 17/6/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
They are very very difficult to get around.

No they aren't, they are incredible easy to get around if you are one of the many scum bags that drives a car around registered to some other poor sod

Or simply remove front number plate. chances of getting pulled for it are very low, and it's a non-endorsable offence even if you do.

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Fandango
Seems so simple in principle and would leave the police to get on with the proper work.

Wonderful, then the speeding tax revenue will come streaming in. Shame it won't actually save any lives.

[Edited on 17/6/08 by MikeRJ]

DarrenW

posted on 18/6/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
During times of heavy congestion i have to say average speed cameras seem to be extremely effective at keeping the flow of traffic. This to me is a good use of them.

Also roadworks where the workers could be at risk - good use of speed cameras imho.

andyps

posted on 19/6/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Fandango
I'm no fan of speed cameras but I've often wondered why they don't put a SPECS camera gantry every 2 miles or so instead of 'patches' of heavy camera groupings? In theory it wouldn't be too difficult to do cover the whole motorway network.

Then integrate it with the DVLA system for catching road tax evaders.

[Edited on 17/6/08 by The Great Fandango]

It would be simple, but fortunately the cost is probably too high, and I think the backlash from the public for the Big Brother invasion might actually be too much for them to bear.

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenWAlso roadworks where the workers could be at risk - good use of speed cameras imho

I can agree with that during the hours at which the workers are actually there, but they don't switch them off at other times, so midnight on an empty motorway and you still have to do 50. I read something earlier suggesting that evidence shows the 50 limit does not make the workers safer, but there was no detail so I can't explain further unfortunately.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.