Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Classic le Mans
richard thomas

posted on 5/7/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Classic le Mans

Anyone been before? I'm going for the first time next weekend. Hope it's dry...

Any top tips, or must do's or must see's?

Cheers,

Rich.

John Bonnett

posted on 5/7/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Richard

We are going and this will be our second time. It is a fantastic event with some tremendous racing and wonderful atmosphere. Many of the spectators are British, knowledgable and are there for the racing rather than the booze.

I notice from a previous post that you are going via Dover which will be some drive from South Wales. We live in the Westcountry and are taking the Plymouth Roscoff crossing on Wednesday night and have a b & b fixed in Arnage which is the hub of the Event. Sitting at a pavement cafe you can watch a terrific parade of classic cars driving to and from the event or just coming in for a cup of coffee.

Hope you have a safe journey and enjoy the event.

atb

John

richard thomas

posted on 5/7/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, John.

Have to go from Dover due to meeting up with some mates there.

Hope the weather is reasonable....what do you reckon to the dress code thing?

Have a good run mate!

John Bonnett

posted on 5/7/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Althought they made quite a big thing of the dress code in the event information, hardly anyone that we saw, kept to it apart from the World War11 enthusiasts who were in American uniforms. It's a pity really because I think the dress code at the Goodwood Revival meeting really adds to the atmosphere.

richard thomas

posted on 5/7/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just got the tickets through the other day, apparantly no access to the paddock without a tie.....

designer

posted on 5/7/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
You will have the time of your life.

I guarantee it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smuty

posted on 5/7/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi we are also going via dover on thursday 9.30am crossing. our first time also, booked with travel destinations and camping track side realy looking forward to it
richard thomas

posted on 5/7/08 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Which campsite did you go for? We ended up with Maison Blanche - not sure if that's a good or bad thing...but i believe it's not quite so wild at the classic.

smuty

posted on 5/7/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hunaudieres which looks to be in a good spot,not quite in the thick of it as you thought
andyps

posted on 15/7/08 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Having got back yesterday from the classic I would advise that nobody should bother going. It was just loads of old cars everywhere, some of them racing but lots didn't bother, they were just parked up for people to look at. There was hardly anyone drinking, definitely no drunks, there were no crowds, no loud music playing in the campsites at 4 in the morning, people were smartly dressed, you weren't kept away from the cars in the paddocks, no chav mobiles, no one using super soakers as you drove past with your windows open. All in all, very disappointing so don't bother thinking of going in 2010 you will only miss a really disappointing experience

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

richard thomas

posted on 16/7/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Yes. the missing general rowdiness must be annoying....

Made it there and back in the Luego - didn't miss a beat! Very satisfying feeling. However, the 18 or so fuel stops were slightly irritating - might need a bigger fuel tank in future...

chrisg

posted on 16/7/08 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I only go for the rowdiness, i'd been going six years before I realised there was a race going on.

Sorry

cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

andyps

posted on 16/7/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
That's why I thought I had better warn you not to go to the classic Chris, you just wouldn't like it!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.