Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Currently playing with MS
omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Currently playing with MS

afternoon all,

i am currently playing with my MS and VE table, i have a question,

1)the car is ticking over at about 600-700 rpm and seems to be struggling a little. how do i adjust the figure to make it idle at about 800, do i increase the values?

here is the VE Table im using.

the bar idles around the 6 boxes highlighted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/7/08 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
what happened to using a screw driver?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
whippy serious answers only, go back to ooogling!

what is the torque roughly of a 150 bhp pinto, with kent cam, and ported?
i just want to see what ve table MS will generate, but dont know that torque of my car.

[Edited on 30/7/08 by omega0684]

whitestu

posted on 30/7/08 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think whippy meant adjust the idle speed screw.
omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
yet have done that but still struggling to tick over.

here is the spark table that is in could in be the column of 20 in the 1st column, shouldn't this be between 12-15 degree btdc? more like this

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I think whippy meant adjust the idle speed screw.

yip but I'm well insulted now....you try to help people and they just...what a world....

omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
apologese whippy just really want to get out for a blast! brilliant sunshine here!
BenTyreman

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is dropping to an idle speed where it has the optimum advance. If you alter the RPM bins on the spark table to move 700 rpm to 800 and 500 rpm to 700, then the engine should drop to somewhere between 700 to 800, rather than 700 to 500. If that isn't enough, you will need to increase the physical throttle stop to allow more air.

Alter the fuel table to bring the AFR to between 14 and 14.7. The recommended way is to tune for lowest MAP value at idle.

omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
with the values i have in at the moment the AFR is about 13:1, what do i have to do to the values to get the AFR up

its reading my kPa to be about 92-94 at idle, is this in the right region?

another question, what is autotune?

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684really want to get out for a blast! brilliant sunshine here!

er? why are you bothered about the idle speed then, are you going for a blast in a traffic jam?

omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
want to get a reasonable fuel consumption, its running but its rough as a bear after a night out on the vodka! the engine timing at idle is causing the whole engine to shake quite violently so i dont want to think what its like at high rpm
BenTyreman

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
ITBs are notorious for inadaquate MAP resolution. If you are running 92-94 kPa at idle, and there are no leaks, you need to switch over to Alpha-N (TPS based) fuelling.

AFR is the air-to-fuel ratio, so the higher the ratio, the more air is needed (i.e. less fuel) so you will have to decrease the VE values. 13:1 is rich for a regular engine, but the more highly tuned the engine, the richer it needs to be at idle.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
oh I see, the colours represent the flame colour like when using a colour tune.

BenTyreman

posted on 30/7/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
The colours don't really mean anything. They just change colour from blue at the lowest values to red at the highest values. They don't actually relate directly to the mixture. The entire table could be too rich and the colours wouldn't change.
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/7/08 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
oh

JAG

posted on 30/7/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
If the VE table is volumetric efficiency how can you get over 100% volumetric efficiency?

Also; if you're ticking over at 90 odd Kpa why does your table read as low as 30Kpa - I would have thought (and I may well be wrong!!) with the throttle closed/ticking over the MAP reading would drop to it's lowest reading. So why have lower values in your VE table?

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
should i have the values say from 50-100 then?

gregs

posted on 30/7/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
you've got plenty of advance (unless it is a wacky rally cam) and a surplus of fuel so I would also suggest opening up the throttle...increasing the VE table for the idle region will just run even richer than you are already (which is quite rich).
omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
so i need to reduce the values in the idle region?
BenTyreman

posted on 30/7/08 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
The VE table is only volumetric efficiency if you are aiming for 14.7 AFR over the whole table and the Req Fuel value is spot on. I choose to half the req fuel to double the values in the VE table, so I have effectively twice the precision in each cell.

>100% VE is theoretically acheivable on NA motors using pulse-tuning of the headers.

The MAP value will be lowest on over-run. I have 50 kPa at idle, and get as low as 15 kPa on over-run. At least one row should be dedicated to over-run if you don't use fuel cut.

8 kPa isn't enough resolution to use SD fuelling. You need to use Alpha-N.

tim windmill

posted on 30/7/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
if its idling at 90kpa you will defo need to switch to alpha n
omega0684

posted on 30/7/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
ok then, has anyone got a pinto alpha N ve table they can e-mail me that i can work from.
madteg

posted on 30/7/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
if its idling at 90 kpa there is a vacuum leek between inlet manifold and megasquirt
paulf

posted on 30/7/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
The config file needs resetting for Alpha N, there is a setting in the config files under Car 1 settings.Also in the settings menu in megatune.
It should work in SD with some trial and error, My zetec ticks over at 45 kpa and goes down to below 20kpa on over run.
Have you got all the vacuum points on the TBs connected and the throttle bodys balanced correctly?.
You need to get the vacuum at idle down before you try tuning the map at all as you have only 1 line of usable map at present.Set the idle advance to 12 degrees in all the boxes around idle to start with.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
ok then, has anyone got a pinto alpha N ve table they can e-mail me that i can work from.

darrens

posted on 30/7/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
summat wrong somewhere wih an idle of 90kpa

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.