Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laser 2 dinghy
Simon

posted on 20/8/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Laser 2 dinghy

Chaps,

I've been offered a Laser 2 dinghy (by one of the instructors on my Level 1 RYA course) - he's a member of my sailing club, but anyone who's sailed one, could you let me have your comments please.

Brief read on the web gives quite good reviews, which is nice.

It's all good and ready to sail by all accounts (and in my budget!)

ATB

Simon

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/8/08 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Best join a specific forum for this one really

try this one

I'm sure they will be much better able to help than the vast majority on here but i loved sailing laser dinghy's myself - never sailed a 2 person one though

Flamez

posted on 20/8/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a laser 2, they are a 2 person racing dinghy, quite fast if sailed right but nowhere near as fast as those with asymetric sails etc, they are an extension of the laser, hull, sail and strings

Apart from racing 2 handed they have no other use, you cant sail them single handed, useless as a family or day boat and about as stable as a tippy thing.

Also they are pretty uncomfortable to sail, continually hiking or on your knees,

[Edited on 20-8-08 by Flamez]

Ivan

posted on 20/8/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you intend to actively race it and have a strong class at your club don't buy one.

If you want a boat for family fun and have enough water get a cat.

I had and sailed a racing dinghy and a 16ft cat - the dinghy was only good for racing and the cat was good for both racing and family fun.

caber

posted on 20/8/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Lasers = wet suit

I have an albacore, lovely old 1960s design, very stable not managed to capsize it in 8 years despite some extremely unskillfull gybing, getting caught in a very serious squall in full sail, losing the rudder and numerous other interesting incidents! If you can find one it is fast enough to be interesting and stable enough for family sailing.

Caber

dhutch

posted on 20/8/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Never sailed a laser 2, but it cant be a bad boat.
- For messing about in, we have a topaz (race x rig) else i sail my uncals RS200. Both good boats for what they are, but neather everyones cup of tea.

Dont know how much a RS200 is, but an older one might well be a good starter. They just about old enough for there to be a good second hand possabilty.

Otherwise our other boat is a National 12 (1980's crusder, sail no 3228) which is also a very nice boat, all be it diffrent all over again, and wood with the maintainace that entails.

Daniel

oliwb

posted on 21/8/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
As most people have said good if your into racing and there's more of the same in your club or a good handicap scene but not great for other bits and bobs. The Laser fun (basically an asymetric version of the 2) is a better bet especialy if your a new starter as the kite is a lot easier to handle than a symetrical spinnaker. Also a 2 is possibly not the best boat for you to start on. They were originaly designed as a single trapeze boat for kids/young adults and you'd probably find it frustrating being too heavy and yet not heavy enough at the same time. By no means a handful to sail if your experienced but probably not the best bet if your just starting. Whats your budget? I'm a senior instructor for RYA and sailed most things under the sun so happy to give some advice if its any use.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.