Board logo

MX5 front uprights .. installation tips
GBaggott - 21/5/10 at 07:57 AM

Hi, Has anybody used mx5 front uprights and hubs?
If so what ball joints did you use on the top and bottom wishbone? do the standard sierra ones happen to be the same taper?
Thanks Gareth

alistairolsen - 21/5/10 at 08:05 AM

I used mx5 bottom balljoints, e28 bmw tops which are like transit ones but fit and mazda ones for the rack

liam.mccaffrey - 21/5/10 at 05:04 PM

I used a moog top ball joint Ill see if i can the exact number and mx5 bottoms.

I built custom wishbones though.

top bone
top bone

[Edited on 21/5/10 by liam.mccaffrey]

Nisseven - 1/7/10 at 11:15 AM

Yes use the mazda bottom one but you need to find one with a thread for the top. I just went into a wholesaler of suspension parts and went through all the joints until I found something that fitted. Pretty sure that it is from a Mazda van. Just something on the bottom wishbone above? I was under the impression that the original ball joint bolted under the flat plate not on top like that, could be wrong as it seems most people do at as you have, but it seems to me that it would sit nicer and be more appealing visually otherwise nice job. Especially nice job on the top.
Bruce

TQ_uk - 8/7/10 at 10:29 AM

Taken from here: http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=452

"I have in my notes the ones you require are from a Landcruiser part no SE 2612. Hope this helps."

Needs a 17mm thread.

Interested as just acquired an MX5 front end & will no doubt be asking the same question in 18 months time!