Board logo

First bec advice please
sambo83 - 19/3/09 at 12:46 PM

Hi gents am going to view my first ever kit car and bec tommorow, it's on pistonheads under bike engine cars catagory, it's yellow fireblade engined REG:q179 yak. I think someone on here called martin used to own it tried to mail him with no results, just looking for some advice as to wether it's a good motor or if anyone knows it's history? Thanks in advance

[Edited on 19/3/09 by sambo83]

Dangle_kt - 19/3/09 at 12:52 PM

Looks like a tidy build, have you ever driven or been in a BEC or quick kit before?

Your in for a supprise if you haven;t.

Hellfire - 19/3/09 at 01:01 PM

Do you know much about kit cars? If not, it may be worth finding someone who does and ask them to go with you for a look. Don't know much about it's history but thought I'd post a pic just in case someone recognises it.

Phil

MK9R - 19/3/09 at 01:30 PM

Come and have a look at this one, i'll help you out with what to look for.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/946163.htm

sambo83 - 19/3/09 at 04:45 PM

No not driven one before have driven some quick stuff but from what i've seen nothing like this so am a little aprehensive. My dad has done some rallying in the past and is concerned that I may kill myself unless it has a LSD. Any thoughts on driving an MK Indy with or without one? I've heard some say there not too bad with bike engines as not alot of low down torque is this true or will i go round in a circle the first time i accelerate round a corner?

Hellfire - 19/3/09 at 06:24 PM

Any car has the potential to kill you whether it be CEC, BEC, Non-LSD or whatever. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned if it didn't have a LSD, you can always fit one afterwards if you feel that's what you want. I'd also ignore what you've heard about bike engines having no low down torque Get a ride in one and you'll see what I mean.

Phil

daniel mason - 19/3/09 at 07:46 PM

out of interest.what diff do you run phil?

Hellfire - 20/3/09 at 12:58 PM

3.62 LSD.

Phil

RK - 20/3/09 at 01:13 PM

First of all, the pic of the yellow car is one sporting a Mac#1 nose. Just thought I'd throw that in.

dean100yz - 26/3/09 at 05:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
First of all, the pic of the yellow car is one sporting a Mac#1 nose. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Yeah that looks near on identical...funny how similar mac and mk are

oh the things ive learnt from this forum

As for performance unless your used to 1.1lt 60bhp cars you wont find them scary. There quick but you wont be spinning it etc unless you really have no foot control!

I just put a few vids on you tube with 888's fitted. I could gas it in the powerband mid corner with very little slip and mines not LSD

As said above id def get someone to go with you! I didnt, went out and bought mine then found out about this site. Some really experienced people on here!