Board logo

Type 9 Gearbox Extender - stiff change
Four Litre - 21/1/12 at 09:20 PM

Hi all

I've finally got around to stripping the interior and in the process adding a tiger gearbox remote extende to the avon. All seems to be ok, however it now seems very hard to get into reverse and 5th gear. when I say stiff it gone from smooth as silk to a proper gym workout getting reverse and a grit your teeth fight to get it into 5th. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are fine.

Is this normal and to be expected , appreciate its not likely to improve the link, I've thrown on loads of grease but it doesnt seem to make a difference?

Any ideas?

Cheers

pjay - 21/1/12 at 11:17 PM

Fitted the Tiger remote to my S6 - not the finest piece of engineering.

I needed to quite a bit of adjustment to get it just right - this included opening up some of the mounting holes IIRC. Overall shouldn't be tight on the gear selections.

I'd say loosen the three mounting bolts and try a few different positions to see if it improves.

jollygreengiant - 22/1/12 at 07:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pjay

I'd say loosen the three mounting bolts and try a few different positions to see if it improves.

pjay - 22/1/12 at 08:16 AM

Steady!

laptoprob - 22/1/12 at 09:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pjay
Fitted the Tiger remote to my S6 - not the finest piece of engineering.

I needed to quite a bit of adjustment to get it just right - this included opening up some of the mounting holes IIRC. Overall shouldn't be tight on the gear selections.

+1

Tigers remote is pants to say the least. I had one and rang to complain, they said there was a batch that was made badly and to send it back for an exchange. I did and the next one was as bad!!

I bought a very good one from (dare i say it) GTS Tuning.

But basically its the same the one most people sell and also the ones on ebay.

Try MAC#1 on 01142511016.

[Edited on 22/1/12 by laptoprob]

[Edited on 22/1/12 by laptoprob]

Four Litre - 22/1/12 at 05:47 PM

Ok thanks all - well first I will try the alignment, then if not its going back to tiger..

perksy - 22/1/12 at 05:54 PM

*If* its similar to the Westfied one sometimes it's necessary to put either one or two plain washers under the monting holes
This seems to sort any alignment issues