Board logo

Fuel Surge - Busa setup
Twin40 - 1/5/13 at 09:04 AM

Hey guys, i'm doing well this week, loads of questions for LCB!

When we were out on track last month, the car suffered a little with interrmitent power loss during corner exit. Checked over all electrical connections and deemed it was a fuel surge issue.

The tank has the factory suzuki hayabusa pump mounted in the underside, with a couple of baffle plates welded in the tank.

I'm guessing to solve the fuel surge issue, i'll need to swap the main pump with a smaller lift pump, and fit the main pump into a separate swirl pot?

Has anyone had to a similar setup?

Or is there a better way?

Cheers

C.

blakep82 - 1/5/13 at 09:31 AM

Get a small 'sump' welded into the bottom of the tank if you have space, say 1.5" deep, 3" diameter, with a 2" hole in the tank feeding it.
Have the tanks outlet fitted to the sump, it will always have fuel in it, and the smaller hole than the diameter of the sump will stop fuel sloshing out on hard cornering.
Only needs 1 pump, not extra swirl pot, and no extra weight.
Not sure if I have pics of mine in my photos. I'll look when I get back from work tonight

Twin40 - 1/5/13 at 10:33 AM

Yep i see what you're saying, lower the fuel level in the tank to suit the pump inlet. I thought thats what the standard pump had on it already though?

Here's a pic of the pump as installed on the tank.

I wonder if its more of a fuel pressure issue, rather than fuel starvation??

Thanks.

C.

Twin40 - 1/5/13 at 10:39 AM

Actually i could probably add an extra section between the bolted face of the tank to the pump mount to lower it. Might work?

yellowcab - 1/5/13 at 11:40 AM

Sounds like you're already sorted, but this is my tank... I'm yet to do a trackday since installing it, but it gives you an idea on how ours differs

Twin40 - 1/5/13 at 11:48 AM

Yep exactly what i'm thinking yellowcab, could be a simple fix then.

Now where did i leave all that aluminium tube....!?!

yellowcab - 1/5/13 at 12:19 PM

"Like"

Boltsy - 14/5/13 at 09:23 PM

I run a low pressure fuel pump into a swirl pot then High pressure pump located in engine bay. Very reliable and a reasonably easy & cheap fix.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6664/FORGE-FUEL-SWIRL-POT/product_info.html

big_l - 14/5/13 at 09:44 PM

I had the same issue and it was the tilt switch thingy ? A box with a metal ball in it filled it with silicone and never had the issue again ...

Could this be the problem ??