Board logo

How does this help for IVA???
Russell - 22/2/10 at 08:54 PM

On Car Builder Solutions' web site they have this listed under "IVA Help" (yes, I know it says SVA not IVA when you go to the actual web page):

Image deleted by owner

How is this supposed to work on a brake balance bar? That sleeve thing looks like a length of copper pipe.
£6+delivery+VAT seems a bit steep for a nut, roll pin and a length of pipe or am I just being mean??

matt_claydon - 22/2/10 at 08:56 PM

Particularly as roll-pins are no longer an accepted locking method - balance bars must be fully welded along the threads to prevent any future adjustment.

iank - 22/2/10 at 09:11 PM

CBS tend to be a convenient one stop shop rather than cheap.

Though that does seem excessive especially as it's going to get failed at IVA as Matt says.

Steve G - 22/2/10 at 09:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
Particularly as roll-pins are no longer an accepted locking method - balance bars must be fully welded along the threads to prevent any future adjustment.

Stupid really - as you can just fit a new balance bar after IVA !!

iscmatt - 22/2/10 at 11:30 PM

perhaps they need to update there website, it does say for SVA not IVA

ashg - 22/2/10 at 11:48 PM

yes I was particularly happy with cbs when my E marked IVA OK side indicators i got from them failed last Friday.

when the tester decided they didnt emit enough light on wide angles he looked up the e mark worked out that they were side markers and not side indicators and promptly failed them.

he also failed my iva ok shrink wrap they sold me to cover my track rod ends.

will be having a chat next time I visit as I only bought the stuff because it was sold to me as IVA OK!!

eddie99 - 23/2/10 at 10:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
yes I was particularly happy with cbs when my E marked IVA OK side indicators i got from them failed last Friday.

when the tester decided they didnt emit enough light on wide angles he looked up the e mark worked out that they were side markers and not side indicators and promptly failed them.

will be having a chat next time I visit as I only bought the stuff because it was sold to me as IVA OK!!

deezee - 23/2/10 at 11:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg

I was looking at my side indicators last night after reading up AshG fail points. The indicators I got from Car Builder Solutions were sold as IVA ok and don't even have an E mark on them? I assume they need an E marking?

Russell - 23/2/10 at 12:21 PM

Guys n gals, I didn't start the thread to throw bricks at CBS in particular. I was actually wondering how a nut, roll pin and a bit of pipe could possibly be a viable way of locking a balance bar to comply with IVA requirements. I'm glad I asked though, because it's certainly raised a few isues with some products from some suppliers that clearly won't get a car through IVA. No doubt some of it is down to the judgement of the individual examiner though.

Today's lesson appears to be that you should know the requirements of your IVA manual intimately and not necessarily take a supplier's word for items described as IVA friendly.

I remember when SVA came in and we couldn't see how a Seven was ever going to pass. Then various work-arounds were devised and tried and (whilst rarely a formality) the SVA test became far less of a hurdle. I guess over time and by sharing experiences like some in this thread we will all become better informed about what really is and isn't acceptable for IVA.

MikeR - 23/2/10 at 04:41 PM

The idea for SVA was that your balance bar was locked with the nut and roll pin and the copper tube held it off the actual master cylinder. Reality meant you could after the event remove the bit of copper, adjust the balance bar, cut some more copper (or not bother) and refit the nut and pin.

You therefore had adjustable balance bar that was lockable. This is banned under IVA as the entire bar has to be welded - although as said there is nothing to stop you replacing the welded bar post IVA - but if you're in a crash and brakes are decided to be the cause and you'd done this i imagine you'll be in trouble.