Board logo

Panhard rod
Ham - 27/8/09 at 09:29 AM

Hi All, just a quick question.... when I made my panhard od on my 7, I used a piece of seamless pipe tapped each end to accept M12 rose joints.if I remember correctly 15mm sch 160 (wall thickness - 4.78mm)
My worry is if its up to it, I've had no issues but it's in the back of my mind when out on the track.If i reach into the"boot" and lean on the rod, it does deflect slightly...should I be worried?

Cheers

Mr Whippy - 27/8/09 at 10:14 AM

na, the rods under tension or compression rather than being bend from the side, it'll be fine. I could defect my landovers steering link if I pushed on it and that was hardly weak.

MikeRJ - 27/8/09 at 06:14 PM

It will be fine in tension, if there are any problems it will be buckling in compression.

Just looking at a ruler in front of me, 15mm 'feels' a bit narrow for a column the length of a typical panhard rod. Plugging the values into MITCalc and assuming 800mm length (how long is it?) gives a critical buckling force of 7666N.

That would seem adequate for steady state cornering loads with a light car, but I don't know what kind of peak loads you could see on a rough road.

Perhaps one of the friendly mech eng's on here can offer some guidance?