Board logo

Novel ratchet drive
dnmalc - 10/8/12 at 08:49 PM

Recently a friend found a ratchet drive with the addition of a winder on the end of the handle that allowed you to hold the ratchet in position and using the winder to quickly tighten the nut up the point when the resistance required the additional torque which is available when using the driver in a conventional manner. The ratchet drive seemed to originate from the US but I was wondering if anyone else had seen these or new where they might be available

adithorp - 10/8/12 at 09:18 PM

I saw them on one of the tool stalls at Detling and Stoneleigh shows. I'd guess they'l be at Donnington next month.

BigLee - 10/8/12 at 09:40 PM

I've used a Snap-on one at a mates garage. Only a small one but presumedly they'll do bigger. Great for removing bits down the back of engines where once its loose, you only get 1 clicks worth of movement, and your fingers can't quite reach it!

Andybarbet - 10/8/12 at 10:25 PM

I have a 1/2" drive one, not snap on quality but has got me out of trouble a few times over the years, if i get time tomorrow i will pop a picture up on here.

It certainly speeds things up presuming you can get your hand on it

Peteff - 11/8/12 at 07:44 AM

I've not seen one for a long time but they are called twist drive ratchets. Googled it and found some in America from Jet.

ginger ninja - 11/8/12 at 08:11 AM

Hava a look for "Sidewinder ratchets" RS-online do them.

An 1/2" drive is £43.50. These are not Snap on quality, but get the job done and considering it might not be used too often, is it worth paying for premium quality ?

I have one, it is relatively heavy and the ratchet is a bit "agricultural", but looks like it might go the distance and you get what you pay for. Mine was purchased about 8 years ago as part of a socket set for about £40 and is still going strong.

M

rusty nuts - 11/8/12 at 08:46 AM

I had a Sidewinder , as said it's not the best quality , the ratchet is very course and it's clumsy to use, I had it for about ten years and gave it away last years , I used it perhaps 3 times in the time I had it. My favourite is a long handled , pivoting head 3/8" drive 80 toothed Snap On ratchet , The 1/4" drive version I have also gets a lot of use

907 - 12/8/12 at 09:40 AM

I have a 3/8" drive Sidewinder. It was a birthday prezzie some years ago.

I unwrapped it, tried it out, then clipped it to the garage wall.
That's where it has stayed, gathering a protective layer of dust. (see pic)

Now, if I was a "mate" I would sell it to you....

However....

If I was a "REAL MATE" I would say read Rusty Nuts' post again, and then forget about it.

Mel IS the oracle. His advice is spot on. (as always)

Paul G

sidewinder 3/8
sidewinder 3/8" ratshit

dnmalc - 12/8/12 at 09:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will cross that off my shopping list then

SPYDER - 12/8/12 at 10:56 PM

Look for a FACOM ROTATOR on fleabay. Various sizes and styles available.