Board logo

long shot ... how to take WD passport apart
02GF74 - 1/9/09 at 06:10 PM

Anyone taken one of these apart?

Western Digital passport - 2.5 in external USB hard drive.

There are no visible screws but it has 4 rubber feet that don't come off easily that I suspect cover screws.... but not brave enough to take them out.

I would like to use this as a caddy for a Seagate 2.5 SATA drive but have no idea if the Seagate drive will fit (WD drive comes up as WD 2500 BEV) nor if the case will be compatible - there is probably some software on the WD drive itself that will thwart my plan.

Big_Al - 1/9/09 at 06:22 PM

Have you searched on Utube?

Lots of videos about taking things apart, rebuilt a nintendo DS after watching one.

fov - 1/9/09 at 06:26 PM

They are a one way strip really. There are some plastic fasteners which hold the caddy to the outer which need removing and never go back properly. A proper caddy is only £20. I got one which can do 2.5" and 3.5" and has a USB hub on the front too for only £30 from novatech. Is it worth ruining it for that?

The Baron - 1/9/09 at 08:03 PM

How bizarre!!!

I dropped mine today, and the case popped open, a firm squeeze, at it clicked back together.

02GF74 - 2/9/09 at 12:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fov
.... A proper caddy is only £20. I got one which can do 2.5" and 3.5" and has a USB hub on the front too for only £30 from novatech. Is it worth ruining it for that?

I hear you but it doesn't look simple.

I've looked at caddies on ebay (search for usb external sata" and everyone has one ofthese Y-piece USB cables - the WD passport only connects to one USB socket which is better.

I suspect the amount of current drawn will depend on the make/model of hard drive.

MikeRJ - 2/9/09 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
I hear you but it doesn't look simple.

I've looked at caddies on ebay (search for usb external sata" and everyone has one ofthese Y-piece USB cables - the WD passport only connects to one USB socket which is better.

I suspect the amount of current drawn will depend on the make/model of hard drive.

Most of these hard drives are right on the limit or even beyond the maximum permitted current for a single USB port. The ones with the Y cable will work with only one plugged in if the drives consumption is low enough.

02GF74 - 2/9/09 at 08:22 PM

well i bouht a caddy for £ 4 from hong kong!! we'll see if it was money wisely spent .... don't hld yer breath for an update, I may be some time .......

britishtrident - 3/9/09 at 05:37 PM

I bought £3.00 2.5" IDE - USB caddy from Hong Kong years ago it worked OK I still use it occasionally when I need to salvage data from a laptop drive.

Hong Kong sellers are generally very good to deal with and deliver quickly but always avoid mainland China ebay sellers the main problem is the national parcel courier network which runs as a workers co-operative an item can take months to get from the seller to the airport.