Board logo

Carbon Fibre damage help!
MsD - 16/8/13 at 06:59 PM

Because im a complete idiot I managed to superglue my front C/F wing to the bench. As I pulled it off some of the clear gelcoat/ lacquer was stuck to the bench and now im stuck on how to repair it!

Do I use clear lacquer or buy a two part epoxy style resin?

[img][/img]

I rubbed the outside of the hole down to get an idea of how badly its damaged (looks worse than it is!)

Any help on what product to use/ how to use it would be great!

Thanks, Mark.

Carbonman - 16/8/13 at 07:21 PM

Looks like you have sanded into the cloth so unfortunately you not going to get an invisible repair. Really wants filling with an Epoxy Resin. A higher viscosity coating resin would be ideal. If you are struggling to get some let me know and I can stick some in the post.

Warren

Just seen your location. If you fancy a drive over to Todmorden I can do it for you.

[Edited on 16/8/13 by Carbonman]

MsD - 16/8/13 at 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carbonman
Looks like you have sanded into the cloth so unfortunately you not going to get an invisible repair. Really wants filling with an Epoxy Resin. A higher viscosity coating resin would be ideal. If you are struggling to get some let me know and I can stick some in the post.

Warren

Cheers Warren. I knew it would be a bad idea to sand it! I wasn't really expecting an invisible repair but something that doesn't look as bad would be great

I only really need a small quantity so it would be a waste to buy a normal size. If you could post me a little amount that would be great. Obviously id cover all expenses!

Mark.