Board logo

stripping chrome headlight bowls?
nick205 - 23/4/08 at 07:59 AM

I'd like to replace my chrome headlamps with satin black ones to tidy up the appearance of the car, but the chrome ones weren't cheap and work very well.

As I have access to virtually free blasting and powder coating facilities I'm wondering if the chrome can be stripped/blasted off so I can powder coat the bowls in black.

Will balsting remove the chrome or will I have to blast so hard I risk damaging the thin metal?

RazMan - 23/4/08 at 08:04 AM

Do you have to remove the chrome to get them powder coated? I would have thought that a light rubbing down (to provide a key) would be good enough.

nick205 - 23/4/08 at 08:15 AM

It might work, but the chrome does have some light pitting already so I would rather start from fresh clean metal really.

nitram38 - 23/4/08 at 09:05 AM

I have a pair of Black metal bowls for 5 3/4" lamps that I have taken the swivel off for some carbon shells (along with the lamps and harnesses).
You are welcome to come and get them although it is a bit of a trek to Mitcham Surrey.
You will need to see if the swivel at the base of your lamps fit in these bowls that's why I haven't offered to post them.
They are the ones from premier wiring:

[Edited on 23/4/2008 by nitram38]

speedyxjs - 23/4/08 at 10:25 AM

The door handles on my jag are chrome but painted over. I didnt know they were chrome until i read a thread on jag-lovers

Mr Whippy - 23/4/08 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
The door handles on my jag are chrome but painted over. I didnt know they were chrome until i read a thread on jag-lovers

I think you find that is a special plastic based paint they used, I've seen it on many older British cars when chrome went out of fashion, turns out they still chromed everything as usual but then painted it black, rather nuts considering the price of chrome plating.

UncleFista - 23/4/08 at 10:47 AM

I painted my chrome headlights black, I just rubbed the chrome down (just scuffed it) with a bit of wet-n-dry and used spray cans.

For 2 years or so it's stuck very well, the only bits I've needed to touch up are the top where the car cover rubs/chafes.

[Edited on 23/4/08 by UncleFista]

nick205 - 23/4/08 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
I have a pair of Black metal bowls for 5 3/4" lamps that I have taken the swivel off for some carbon shells (along with the lamps and harnesses).
You are welcome to come and get them although it is a bit of a trek to Mitcham Surrey.
You will need to see if the swivel at the base of your lamps fit in these bowls that's why I haven't offered to post them.
They are the ones from premier wiring:

[Edited on 23/4/2008 by nitram38]

Thanks for the offer Martin, unfortunately my lights are larger (7.5" IIRC) so the internals won't fit.

I would have made the trip though just to have a look at the MotaLeira in the flesh

Ham - 23/4/08 at 02:21 PM

Those retaining springs are the work of the devil!!!!