Board logo

R16 Calipers - Noisy??
Krismc - 16/4/11 at 02:50 PM

Ive got a slight noise from the front pads when breaking heavy is this normal with a raceleda setup.

I was thinking that it is either just the groved discs or is it because the raceleda pads dont have anti rattle shims?

Just to put my mind at rest.

coozer - 16/4/11 at 02:51 PM

What kinda noise? Mine squeal like a pig most of the time...

Gergely - 18/4/11 at 11:25 AM

Mine are completely noiseless. Is it a squeal or a rattle? I understand rattle can appear because of the way it's designed... But mine don't rattle either.

spdpug98 - 18/4/11 at 11:45 AM

No noise from mine at all, what sort of noise are yours making

Mr Whippy - 18/4/11 at 12:03 PM

a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads is the normal way to dampen out troublesome squeals, though tbh they still sometimes do

Krismc - 19/4/11 at 09:03 AM

Not a squeal!!

The pads rattle a little when turning left and right at low rpm, but its a sort of? (how do i describe it??) it sounds a bit like a electrical hum when i brake heavy, not that loud but i can hear it!

Mr Whippy - 19/4/11 at 09:23 AM

yeah but grease stops them rattling too as it just acts as a damper for the pads

could be something else on the front though, cycle wings or a loose track rod nut. Best to have a good check just to be safe.

Krismc - 19/4/11 at 09:31 AM

Went round and checked the first time i heard it, only when i touch the BIG STOP pedal. im guessing its the groved Discs and ive go over sensitive hearing.

blakep82 - 19/4/11 at 09:44 AM

well, the pads have to get rid of the kinetic energy somehow, and conservation of energy says it can only turn it into other types of energy. usually heat, and in this case a bit of sound energy too

Krismc - 20/4/11 at 06:39 PM

Good enough answer for me, lol.

Anyway my mate popped round too have a butchers at car today, so i gave him a job to do while he was here and we bled the brakes, the front right caliper had 4 pedals worth of air in it and the back right 3 pedals worth,

no wonder it pulled to the side under breaking.