Board logo

R1 carbs
matty h - 15/11/10 at 06:23 PM

After some advice on R1 carbs, I have a set that I am fitting to 2.0 8v Vauxhall got manifold and dizzy but need a bit of info on the R1 carbs themselves.
-The carbs have two small pipes coming from t pieces at the top of the carbs what are these for?Are they for vacuum,if so do I need to put them into my inlet manifold?
-In the middle at the bottom of the four carbs there is a pipe is this a fuel overflow/return.
-What are the two cylinder things at the top at each end for are they just breathers.
Would post a picture but do not now how.
Any advice would be good as I am now half way through fitting them.
Thanks Matty

nearly done - 15/11/10 at 07:06 PM

Matty,
dash out and buy a copy of this months Classic Ford Mag the have a feature on fitting bike carbs and the associated bits and pieces, well worth getting.

Cheers,Sean

doddy - 15/11/10 at 07:19 PM

when i had r1 carbs on my pinto i think most of the hoses were just breathers i left them alone just 2 for fuel in

i dont have the carbs anymore so cant be 100% sure maybe well out

locoR1 - 15/11/10 at 07:50 PM

All the pipes are breathers for various parts of the carbs inc the metal pipes sticking out the ends,
The only one you need to connect up is the fuel in should be a brass connection on the bottom of one of the carbs.

matty h - 18/11/10 at 08:35 PM

Thanks for the replies,could someone please confirm which pipe is for the fuel,there is a brass fitting in the middle at the bottom and also a pipe in the centre at the end of the carbs.

locoR1 - 19/11/10 at 06:24 AM

Fuel in is the brass fitting in the bottom middle it should have a few groves round it so when the pipes tightened up it cant come off.