Board logo

Stainless fuel pipe
Nitrogeno25 - 21/8/12 at 04:04 AM

I have a lenght of 6m 3/8 stainless pipe that I plan to use as fuel pipe.

Can I use brass compression fittings to connect to rubber hose?

Thanks!

TAZZMAXX - 21/8/12 at 06:44 AM

It really depends on the wall thickness of the tube. If it is thin wall (20g), then it will have a certain amount of give and will crush slightly to make the compression fitting work. If it is 16g wall then it may work via friction but there's always a chance that it will come loose. If it is the thicker wall tube a twin ferrule (stainless steel) compression fitting maybe better.

[Edited on 21/8/12 by TAZZMAXX]

owelly - 21/8/12 at 07:46 AM

I used stainless Swagelock pipe and normal copper/brass compression fittings gripped, but soon worked loose. So I used a tube cutter to make grooves in the end of the tube and used stainless worm drive clips to mount the fuel hose directly on to the stainless tube. 6 years running at injection pressure and no problems.

maccmike - 21/8/12 at 08:24 AM

if the walls too thick you could always use a nut and olive fitting

Nitrogeno25 - 21/8/12 at 09:39 PM

Thank you very much for your replies!

The stainless pipe wall is 1mm. The compressión fittings I have consists of a brass ferrule like this:

pipe being free I will give it a try.

Thanks! again.

[Edited on 22/8/12 by Nitrogeno25]

rusty nuts - 22/8/12 at 07:36 PM

Hydraulics engineer would put a flare on each end for a drink , Some garages may be able to help , I think my flaring kit would do it

dave r - 23/8/12 at 05:36 AM

brass olives on stainless pipe have caused me lots of problems at work, and we only get water leaking then!!

wouldnt want to risk it with fuel