Board logo

Led rear lights
jrrsparky - 24/12/11 at 01:05 PM

Has anybody on here fitted any of these "RDX LED Rear Lights" from boltonbits with LED front & side repeaters?
I fitted some a couple of months ago and side/stop & brake all work ok on there own, but if I indicate with the side lights on the indicators stay on, if I connect a ordinary filiment lamp in circuit everything works as it shuld.

PS the lights come with a LED flasher unit ( could this be faulty?)

big_l - 24/12/11 at 11:06 PM

the leds dont use enough power to keep triping the flasher relay ...

easy fix either a speciel led flasher relay needed

or lcb cheap fix get 2 indicator bulbs in a sealed black box solder them into the curcuit and that will slow the flasher relay down ..

jrrsparky - 25/12/11 at 10:32 AM

Hi big_l
I think you must have misread the post, I have a LED flasher unit fitted and all the indicators work fine until I use the sidelights or brakelights at which time the rear indicators stay on just dim slightly as the front & side repeaters carry on flashing normally!.

lewis - 25/12/11 at 11:29 AM

Earth problem then,are they all using the same earth point ?

MikeRJ - 25/12/11 at 11:34 AM

Certainly points to a grounding problem; this is a typical symptom if the indicators are grounding through one of the other lamps instead of a solid ground.

jrrsparky - 25/12/11 at 07:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Earth problem then,are they all using the same earth point ?

Hi
This was my first thought,
There is only one earth wire from the multi function light and this is bolted to the chassis.

big_l - 25/12/11 at 09:32 PM

Ah balls sorry I had just woken up !! Yeah agree with earth !!

lewis - 25/12/11 at 10:13 PM

Prob corrosion within the light unit then causing a bad earth

indykid - 26/12/11 at 12:08 AM

Surely this can't work with LEDs? (earth problem)

Incandescent bulbs will allow current to track back through the other lamps to earth but LEDs shouldn't....being diodes

MikeRJ - 26/12/11 at 12:47 AM

Depends on how they are wired, LEDs typically have a reverse breakdown voltage of only 5v.

jrrsparky - 27/12/11 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Prob corrosion within the light unit then causing a bad earth

These are new sealed light units never been out in the wet.

quote:
Depends on how they are wired, LEDs typically have a reverse breakdown voltage of only 5v.

If this had happened would they still work?