Board logo

Twin engined car
sprouts-car - 25/5/11 at 09:39 AM

I've been wondering about cars with more than one engine.
For instance the z-car ultima with two hayabusa engines.
In that car i believe one engine powers the front and one the back with some very clever electronics to control them.

What would the problem be of just connecting two engines up to the same diff.
I'm thinking two bike engines, so two gearboxes. Then two chains down to the same diff.

Would the engines be "fighting" each other?

OR

What if you had each engine output going into each side of a differential. Then if the engines aren't going at the same speed its less of an issue.

This isn't a plan just a crazy line of thinking.

All thoughts welcome...

JeffHs - 25/5/11 at 09:46 AM

Many many years ago I saw a twin engined grass track car called I think a Buffy Mowog. It had mini engines front and back and no clever control systems. He stalled one engine on the start line and the rest of the field, all 2wd, leapt ahead until he manged to bump start the 2nd engine when it shot through the pack and left them for dead. Most impressive but must have been a nightmare to drive

JacksAvon - 25/5/11 at 09:54 AM

See link below, Tiger Racing did this years ago, mental to drive.

http://www.tigerracing.com/z100.php

britishtrident - 25/5/11 at 10:03 AM

Twined Tiger famously blew up it transmission on Top Gear.

Whole thing is a can of worms.

gavin174 - 25/5/11 at 10:18 AM

Russ Bost built a twin engined Furore (2 x ZX10) one driving each rear wheel

Sva'd and on the road.

40inches - 25/5/11 at 10:55 AM

Tiger Z100

Oliver Jetson - 25/5/11 at 11:10 AM

Westfield Twin Bike Engined

Fred W B - 25/5/11 at 11:12 AM

I don't see a problem with two engines driving a common output/jackshaft. They will be constrained to run at the same RPM (unless a dual chain drive has slightly different ratios for each engine - maybe an idea to broaden the power peak) and even if they make different power they will both contribute to the force moving the car along.

Biggest issue from what little I've read is controlling the chain slack/tension, if chain drive.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 25/5/11 by Fred W B]

adithorp - 25/5/11 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
I don't see a problem with two engines driving a common output/jackshaft. They will be constrained to run at the same RPM (unless a dual chain drive has slightly different ratios for each engine - maybe an idea to broaden the power peak) and even if they make different power they will both contribute to the force moving the car along.

Biggest issue from what little I've read is controlling the chain slack/tension, if chain drive.

Cheers

Fred W B

One problem is that if one engine misses a gear change the rev limiter can't save it as the second engine drives the revs up.

sprouts-car - 25/5/11 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Cheers

Fred W B

One problem is that if one engine misses a gear change the rev limiter can't save it as the second engine drives the revs up.

Unless the rev limiter could cut both engines.

Fred W B - 25/5/11 at 01:31 PM

Fair enough, but you could maybe have the rev limiters/engine mangement/s configured to cut both engines if just one is over-revving?

Cheers

Fred W B

Fred W B - 25/5/11 at 01:32 PM

so we posted at the same time......

Cheers

Fred W B

matt_gsxr - 25/5/11 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Cheers

Fred W B

If you can be bothered to put 2 engines in a car, then it wouldn't be difficult to provide some control circuitry to prevent this happening!

Thousands of ways of doing it. What about:

having the ECU from one engine driving the fueling on the other engine and vice versa. This wouldn't work for sparks (as the engines won't be in phase) but fueling is more forgiving.
or
have circuit that requires the two engines to be in the same gear, or cuts power
or
have an external rev limiter for each engine that cuts both engines
or
having a gear shift that forces both engines to be in the same gear

To build a car of this complexity and fail to implement a basic interlock would be foolish. The downshift problem is still present, but we all have that to deal with to some degree.

Matt

sprouts-car - 25/5/11 at 02:02 PM

What about linking through some sort of differential used in reverse. Then different speed and even different gears are less of an issue?

Liam - 25/5/11 at 04:01 PM

quote:
unless a dual chain drive has slightly different ratios for each engine - maybe an idea to broaden the power peak

[Dr Evil look]

Iiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting

[/Dr Evil look]

Forget compound turbocharging - I propose compound twin-engine-ing! A diesel for the low-end grunt driving a common shaft with a bike engine (appropriately geared) providing the top-end! Mu ha ha ha haaaa - motorsport domination is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

blakep82 - 25/5/11 at 04:07 PM

^ thats what twin engines karts do

JoelP - 25/5/11 at 05:14 PM

as said above, it cant be too hard to make a revlimiter that cuts both engines when either hits max rpm. Also, though missed gears are quite common on bike engines, i would imagine that a pair of flatshifters would have a much lower failure rate. Then just have an additional button to only change gear on one engine, in case they do end up out of sync.

In fact, if flatshifters can be linked to the ecu, i bet you could make it automatically correct a missed gear.

Paul TigerB6 - 25/5/11 at 06:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

And clearly you know why it blew up given the can of worms comment then BT???

Just so you know - Tiff thought he knew better than Chris Allanson and missed a gear change on one of the engines after being given specific instructions on how to change!! Driver error / stupidity rather than can of worms!!

blakep82 - 25/5/11 at 06:37 PM

ah, 5th gear! thats why i never saw it then

Paul TigerB6 - 25/5/11 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
ah, 5th gear! thats why i never saw it then

Just for you Blake

Minicooper - 26/5/11 at 02:28 PM

Here is one, who is brave/rich enough

TWIN BIKE ENGINED MINI COOPER | eBay UK

Cheers
David

Mark Allanson - 26/5/11 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

More like clumsy "Tiffany Dell" broke Chris Allansons dream car!

froggy - 30/5/11 at 05:58 PM

done this with a pair of tl 1000 v twins and although interesting its not a good idea as there are many synchronisation issues and however well put together you cant drive it 100% as missed gearchanges are always in the back of your mind .

plenty of easier ways to make more power

coyoteboy - 5/7/11 at 11:27 PM

I keep coming back to this as, while playing around with a few bike engines, I can't seem to get them to mis-shift in a way that would allow one to shift and one not - if it doesn't shift it jams the shift lever on the engines I've been faffing on. If they're both linked rigidly and one jams, what's the chances of the other going in? Genuinely quite curious to hear more from those who've done it like you froggy. A pair of vfr 750s would knock out 200hp and weigh around 120kg (engines only) which is pretty competitive. Never get something for nothing though I suppose!

froggy - 6/7/11 at 12:20 AM

Mine made 220 whp on open exhausts but failed noise miserably on track days . Peak torque was 160 lb/ft so losses were pretty low , the chain maintenance got very old having 2 chains onto the jackshaft then another to the final drive which stretched twice as much .

Makes sense for a grass track car but not for Tarmac or road use imo

MikeCapon - 6/7/11 at 07:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I keep coming back to this as, while playing around with a few bike engines, I can't seem to get them to mis-shift in a way that would allow one to shift and one not - if it doesn't shift it jams the shift lever on the engines I've been faffing on. If they're both linked rigidly and one jams, what's the chances of the other going in? Genuinely quite curious to hear more from those who've done it like you froggy. A pair of vfr 750s would knock out 200hp and weigh around 120kg (engines only) which is pretty competitive. Never get something for nothing though I suppose!

I'm with you coyoteboy on this one. Twin bike engines are an awesome idea. Also, as you point out, it opens the way to other bike engines that would otherwise be a bit short on power for a BEC application such as the excellent VFR 750. I love these motors for a number of reasons.

First off an endless love for the RC30 and the noise Secondly they are are in plentiful supply and they are cheap cos they pretty much never break. I worked in a building we shared with a huge bike breakers over here for a few years and was always fascinated by the engine stock. There were one or two GSXRs, ZXRs, and YZFs but there were dozens and dozens of VFRs on the shelf. If ever they sold it was for peanuts compared with the rest of the big Jap motors.

We actually built a VFR engined cross car (tubular chassised off roader normally fitted with 600 I4 bike engine) for fun, but on dirt the VFR did not grip. It just wanted to dig holes everywhere This would not be a problem on tarmac though.

As for your gear selection question beware if you're playing around with motors that are not running. Bike boxes rely on the rotation of the gearshafts to line up the dogs when shifting. If you are trying this out with dead engines the boxes will be very reluctant to shift. Once rolling they slip into gear much more easily.

I'm sure it would not be difficult to rig up some kind of security? Perhaps some kind of gear display that compares the two and cuts the ignitions if they don't match? Worth the effort IMO for the advantages of 8 cylinders, 200 hp and a shedload of torque, all for less money than an old Fireblade motor?

Cheers,

Mike

ETA Or just a rev limiter that limits both motors but triggered by either???

[Edited on 6/7/11 by MikeCapon]

loggyboy - 6/7/11 at 09:10 AM

There have been a couple of notable twin engined tintops, one being a Nova (Corsa A) built in germany for Regal (shudder). It had 2 Calibra Turbo (C20LETs) with about 300hp each. It lead to a 2.8 sec 0-60 and a 11sec 1/4 mile IIRC.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8933077605569731631&q=nova#

The other was a Golf (mk3 IIRC) that had 2 VR6 engines and had some equally impressive stats.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3582964599649062492&q=twin+engined+golf#

The hardest thing ive heard is sorting the gear change linkages to ensure both engines engage the same gear at the same time.

coyoteboy - 6/7/11 at 09:26 AM

I'd not be going to a jack shaft, I'd be running two separate outputs for simplicity.

Dick Axtell - 6/7/11 at 10:08 AM

quote:
I don't see a problem with two engines driving a common output/jackshaft.......Biggest issue from what little I've read is controlling the chain slack/tension, if chain drive.
Cheers

Fred W B[Edited on 25/5/11 by Fred W B]

Ever heard of an old timer called the "Sedici Cilindrini"? I culled this from a Maserati history site :-

".....the real highspots in Maserati fortunes being reached and plumbed by that perennially amazing brute, the 16 cylinder twin-eight. Whether the 1932 edition of this fearsome freak was a new car or a rebuild of the original 1929 4 litres is a question that has no known answer at this writing but the fact remains that as raced in 1932 the 16 cylinder had two 2.5 litre 8 cylinder GP engines mounted side by side, as on the first 4 litre three years earlier. As in the case of the 4 litre, the new 5 litre 16 cylinder was fast - too fast for its roadholding, too fast for the circuits of the time and, on one terrible day, too fast for its driver."

Because the 2 engines rotated in the same rotational direction, the resultant torque could provide some interesting chassis characteristics (it twisted horribly, especially on left hand bends).

coyoteboy - 6/7/11 at 11:36 AM

quote:

As for your gear selection question beware if you're playing around with motors that are not running. Bike boxes rely on the rotation of the gearshafts to line up the dogs when shifting. If you are trying this out with dead engines the boxes will be very reluctant to shift. Once rolling they slip into gear much more easily.

Fair points, and noted (I've been testing on a frame-mounted running engine or two but not with any loads yet) but what's the actual process that occurs during a mis-shift - is it simply a blocking non-shift that remains in the original gear? I was under the impression that it's physically impossible to shift into a fake neutral on a bike engine? I need to learn more about it.

coyoteboy - 21/7/11 at 01:46 PM

I'm thinking a hydraulic shift mechanism might be used to provide the shifting required. Providing enough time is allowed with ignition cut, hydraulic cyls on each shifter would provide equal pressure and maintain force until electronic confirmation of engagement (full lever travel), allowing ignition cut to both engines should a mis-shift occur on either. If the mis shift feels like a normal shift (i.e. full travel) , this still leaves a problem. If it doesn't, the electronics could control a downshift on the missed engine, or repeat the shift as required on one engine, just with a big stutter!

Ninehigh - 24/7/11 at 01:21 AM

This made me curious today, does anyone know of (or know of a reason not to make) a vehicle that has an engine driving each wheel. It would make for the ultimate traction control that's for sure.