Board logo

weird vibration tin top
mrwibble - 22/11/11 at 01:27 PM

Help?!

Had a vibration from nearside of car when decelerating at low speed for a few weeks now. started off very occasionally, now I hear it regularly. Past week i've made myself believe its pulling to the right so decided to get underneath it and have a look.

Had a look at the TREs today, I can't tell anythings the matter with them, but i guess you might not?

MOT in July mentioned "slight play in steering" they didn't seem at all worried, but today I can't find any, wondered how the garage would check this?

mookaloid - 22/11/11 at 01:30 PM

dry cv joint?

jossey - 22/11/11 at 01:33 PM

goto a open carpark and reverse slowly with the full lock on and see what noise you get you will know if its a CV joint.

Also jack it up and see what play is in it.

it will either be a wishbone or cv joint.

mrwibble - 22/11/11 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jossey
goto a open carpark and reverse slowly with the full lock on and see what noise you get you will know if its a CV joint.

Also jack it up and see what play is in it.

it will either be a wishbone or cv joint.

certainly no nasty crunching noises as i reverse with lock on, i do this daily. might have to take it somewhere with some ramps.

jossey - 22/11/11 at 01:43 PM

well thats me out of idea's :O)

beaten by the cube....

mrwibble - 22/11/11 at 01:44 PM

hah, thanks for the reply though!

Ninehigh - 22/11/11 at 03:36 PM

I take it you're going in a straight line, but:

What speed does the vibration start, and are you braking, engine braking or coasting?

Not that I'd have a clue but I think someone might be able to shed more light on it

britishtrident - 22/11/11 at 03:37 PM

Wishbone/track control arm inner bush or outer ball joint ----

hughpinder - 22/11/11 at 03:43 PM

Whats the tyre wear like? Not the wear limit ridges is it (that just a bit of noise rather than vibration though).
Is it only at low speed?

mrwibble - 22/11/11 at 04:22 PM

Hi, yes its just slow speed. Engine braking in second I notice it 20-25mph. and only on certain road conditions, seems to happen when downhill. but there is a patch leaving work which i notice it alot. Don't have any issues with tyre wear, although as its pulling to the right now, if its not sorted i think it could later on. plenty of thread on tyres, doesn't seem to me to have the right frequency to be tyre related.

scrappy_7 - 22/11/11 at 07:05 PM

try looking for play in the drop link arms

dray13dad - 22/11/11 at 07:17 PM

What car is it!!

mrwibble - 22/11/11 at 07:31 PM

hah! mk1 focus

dray13dad - 22/11/11 at 09:20 PM

Things to check,
tyres do get eaten on focus (tend to go egg shape and tread lift.check the inner cv joint on n/s tri coupling type of joint with needle roller and they drop out,or if that sort of vibration maybe worth checking o/s driveshaft centre support bearing.
hope this helps.

bertie_bas205 - 24/11/11 at 10:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
hah! mk1 focus

Bushes.....

Or, there is a bearing on one of the driveshafts..... common to go...

Bertie