Board logo

a good place to start?
daniel mason - 29/10/09 at 08:31 PM

if my mnr sells and the purchase of a new house comes off i will be starting my first kit build. am hoping to start soon and am allowing 1 to 1 and a half years.(or as soon as funds allow)
my initial budget will be 5 and a half grand. with hopefully another 2 grand during the next 1 and a half years.
my question is what would you go for on a budget like this? is my timescale and idea of funds realistic? and should i go front or mid engined? car or bike motor?
bearing in mind its my first attempt so simplicity is needed! thanks.

afj - 29/10/09 at 08:36 PM

mk midi bike engine???

omega0684 - 29/10/09 at 08:41 PM

fury but you will need to keep things cheap

daniel mason - 29/10/09 at 08:49 PM

dont think i could get a midi on the road in budget! it cant be one of those projects where budget increases as i am on the limit already. a fury is a possibility.
was also considering aries motorsport?
or possibly sylva riot?

clairetoo - 29/10/09 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

I seem to get the impression you like Fury's , Alex
But then again.......I have to agree

MautoK - 29/10/09 at 09:33 PM

I started building my Indy back in 2003. I reckoned on about 6K total and about 6-8 months to complete....
Well, the cost turned out pretty close but the timelords decided to apply a multiplier of 10 so I didn't get OTR until April this year.
1. I got a bit p*ss*d off painting the chassis, but I'm glad I did that rather than powder coating.
2. Garage didn't have central heating so nothing happened in any Nov-March apart from odd warmer days.
3. Garage didn't have A/C so nothing happened Jun-August apart from odd cooler days.
4. My mother took poorly and came to live with us, so nothing much happened 2004-2005.
5. Moved house in 2007 so nothing that year either (decorating etc ready for sale)

So I actually worked on the car:
Sep-Oct 03
Apr-May 06
Sep-Oct 06
Apr-May 08
Sep-Oct 08
and a final spurt Jan-Feb 09, to get in before IVA
That's a total of 12 months - not too bad I suppose.
John.

omega0684 - 29/10/09 at 09:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

I seem to get the impression you like Fury's , Alex
But then again.......I have to agree

maybe just a little

Madinventions - 29/10/09 at 11:30 PM

Go for a CEC Riot... I got my Mojo (which is basically a Riot with a full bodyshell) on the road for about £7500 including SVA, insurance, tax etc. The key will be finding a donor Fiesta going cheap as you'll be able to reuse a surprising amount of it.

Oh, and I built it in 6 months as my first build so I can thoroughly recommend the Sylva kits! Speak to Ali at Stingray Motorsport.

Have a look at my website for more build info:
Link

Or here:
Link

Ed.

speedyxjs - 30/10/09 at 08:45 AM

With that budget, locost.

Even if you buy the chassis already made, its very rewarding when you are not p***ed off

Browny - 30/10/09 at 10:27 AM

An MK Midi would be cheaper to build than a Fisher Fury. The kit is pretty comprehensive. Test drive one its significantly better than a fury.

daniel mason - 30/10/09 at 07:52 PM

the only other option would be to buy a part built car,then complete it myself!

adithorp - 30/10/09 at 09:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Browny
An MK Midi would be cheaper to build than a Fisher Fury. The kit is pretty comprehensive. Test drive one its significantly better than a fury.

Thats a pretty bold statement. Care to explain why it's "significantly better"?

adrian