Board logo

Turboing the Renault 2.2 Engine
MakeEverything - 30/8/09 at 08:34 PM

I need a bit more poke from the 2.2 that is in the toy, and the easiest way i can think is to turbo the engine.

I have excellent access to the exhaust manufold and exhaust system, so with a few flanges made up, it wouldnt be too hard.

The question i haveis, can i put a turbo on with the existing stock ECU? Imnot talking BIG, but a sensibly sized turbo at a sensible pressure. Will the stock ECU adjust the injector opening time to suit the new air volumes?

Ive got MS, but wont be using it just yet, until the car is finished. It runs at themoment, but needs a little bit more oomph.

jpindy3 - 30/8/09 at 08:37 PM

you might as well just fit the ms,as you will also need to retard the ign as well as have a rising fuel rate.

MakeEverything - 30/8/09 at 08:47 PM

Looks like ill need to make a loom adapter for MS then!!
Would still like to know if the standard ECU would work though?

mark chandler - 30/8/09 at 08:54 PM

If the stock works from a MAF sensor then you can probally add a few PSI of boost as these tend to allow 15% tolerance.

You could also wind up the fuel pressure in the rail, but this will affect fuel at all speeds to compensate.

Megasquirt and WB sensor is the way to go, the cost of a holed piston trying to fudge something is not really worth it IMHO, sticking in a couple of PSI will only overcome the extra resistance of the turbo.

Regards Mark

jpindy3 - 30/8/09 at 09:08 PM

what you can look in to is try and get a piggy back ecu that has a map sensor and that takes care of the fuel,
ahh thats a point has your ms got a map sensor??
coz you will need it for a turbo app.
i know with my mj you could get a tps or a map verson.
im really not sure if the std ecu could give the fuel you will need to turbo.
have you lowerd the cr,if not you will need to do this to help stay away from det,thats a must if you are using cast pistons.with my pinto that i was going to turbo, i was planing to run 8.5:1 cr with cast pistons and at the max 9psi boost.
the only thing is doing this fueling is critacall get it wrong and you will melt a piston.
let me know how you get on

MakeEverything - 30/8/09 at 09:25 PM

Thanks Guys,

As far as im aware, the engine is completely stock, so i would need to be a little careful particularly as the renault 25 engines arent as plentiful as first thought!!

My MS does have MAP and i think has the facility for MAF also, though i cant say for sure until i take it apart and look, or connect it to a stim which i dont have!

The other option i have is supercharging, but then i have to make a planum, brackets, idler pulley, longer belts etc etc etc..... Ive already got an Eaton M45 supercharger which might work ok on a stock engine, if not a little bit overworked on the 2.2.

mark chandler - 30/8/09 at 11:22 PM

Megasquirt comes with a 250kpa MAP sensor as standard unless its really old, so good for 15psi.

Regards Mark

jpindy3 - 31/8/09 at 07:43 AM

if you supercharge you will still need to do somthing about the fueling and the cr,and the ign.
at work we seem to have quite a few old supercharges about that poeple have got rid of in faver of a turbo.
also il dig up a cupple dyno runs,2 lexus is200 back to back both std internals one with a rotex supercharger one with a turbo.both running the same boost the turbo pulls a far better run.more power and a better power delivary