jacko - 24/9/09 at 05:08 PM

Hi all i am looking for tips on how to fit exhaust wrap
is it best to start at the engine or the other end
how much over lap etc
my wrap is 50mm wide
thank's
Jacko

goaty - 24/9/09 at 05:15 PM

not sure on overlap but i know you wet it so you can stretch it on better.
Would imagine 8mm-ish of overlap but sure someone knows more.

MikeRJ - 24/9/09 at 05:35 PM

1/4 inch overlap.

flak monkey - 24/9/09 at 05:45 PM

I overlap mine half of its width. So you essentially end up with a double layer all the way along.

David

Davey D - 24/9/09 at 05:46 PM

my exhaust wrap is 50mm, and I've done about 20mm of overlap so the wrap ends up twice as thick giving more heat protection

Flamez - 24/9/09 at 06:02 PM

Start at engine end. use plastic tie wraps until its all in place the replace with metal ones [mine were single use only] also it stated that do not pre-soak black tape.

MautoK - 24/9/09 at 06:48 PM

I used the big roll from CBS and had about a foot left over. The tape goes from the flange to just outside the bonnet (MK stainless headers)
I wetted the tape before wrapping it and overlapped about half the width. I think it's recommended to wear latex gloves or similar when handling the tape.
Be advised that it smokes furiously and gives off quite acrid fumes as it cooks.
John.

BenB - 24/9/09 at 07:37 PM

I used a 10mm overlap. Used dry. Big jubilee clips.

No problems so far....

MakeEverything - 24/9/09 at 08:14 PM

I wrapped the LCB header on my mini, and when i had finished building the engine, i started it up in the garage, and it smoked me out, big time.

It smells like roasting wheat, with a bit of fibreglass thrown in and it sttays in the back of your throat all day!

Overlap by 50% to get a continuous double thickness all the way along for best (tidiest) results. If not done properly, it looks messy.

MautoK - 24/9/09 at 08:55 PM

After fitting the tape I ran the engine for a minute or so and, as expected, there was loads of water vapour dirven off. So that's it dry, I thought, now just take it for a spin....
Just as I got to the town centre (about 400 yards from home) was when the tape went into 'cook' mode and started smoking and smelling...
Did get some rather strange looks....people thinking 'that car's about to blow up'
John.

David Jenkins - 24/9/09 at 09:01 PM

I was taking mine for its first outing, pre-sva, officially for an MOT. Got a mile or two up the road but had to stop cos I thought my engine had caught fire! Smoke billowing out from under the bonnet...

...took the bonnet off, coughed a lot, then put it back on when everything stopped smoking.

miikae - 24/9/09 at 09:54 PM

I used white 50mm half lapped , VHT (white)on the pipes first then more on the tape when its all done , as it helps to seal those nasty fibre glass bits in that end up everywhere. I think i used about 15 mtrs in all.

Mike

jpindy3 - 25/9/09 at 07:39 AM

wet the wrap before fitting it,so it streches, so when hot it tightens

Gergely - 25/9/09 at 08:44 AM

We put it on soaked in a bucket before for a half an hour. Overlapped about 20mm, started at the engine end. Used stainless jubilee clips to hold it in place. Smoked on the first run, nicely...
Make sure that you wear long sleeve top and elbow length nylon gloves, mask and most importantly glasses. If the stuff gets in your eye, that will have to be removed surgically... You will be threading meters of the stuff and it will be flapping all over the place...
Gergely