Board logo

Quickshifters -Push or Pull?
T66 - 22/11/09 at 01:20 PM

When you read adverts for these things, ie linked to PC3 it generally states push or pull.

Am I correct in thinking with bikes this is pertinent, but not so a BEC where the solenoid can be positioned appropriately to operate the gearchange ?

Also if its "push" only does it only do for example upchanges ?

Ive been nightshift so go easy on me !

It doesnt make sense...

minitici - 22/11/09 at 04:16 PM

A lot of quickshiters are still manual shift but with electronic gizmos to allow clutchless full throttle upshifts.
Slightly more sophisticated ones include a throttle blipper for clutchless downshifts.

The 'push or pull' usually refers to the direction you need the gear change link rod to move to shift up.
There is a microswitch/ load cell built into the actuating rod to sense when to bring in the ignition cut - this can be for a push or a pull.
The systems with both up and down shifts sense in both directions.

Then there are actuated gear shift systems using stepper motors, solenoids or pneumatic shifter.....

[Edited on 22/11/09 by minitici]

hobbsy - 22/11/09 at 04:49 PM

If its one that does both then it doesn't matter which direction is an upshift or downshift - you can just switch the wires to suit.

If its one that only deals with upshifts then i guess it may be built to only sense compression or tension so you need the correct one to suit your setup.

T66 - 22/11/09 at 04:59 PM

Ok , so like I said the type of shifter whether its push or pull is actually about which way its mounted relative to the gear shaft ?

So on a Blackbird gearbox I could use a quickshifter push or pull system, as long as I mounted it the correct way to work the gearbox both up & down.

Can the blipper be added at a later date ?

Im looking at used setups from other bikes to link into a PC3 to work on a Blackbird.

Whether this is locost or false economy I need to research further.

thanks

grazo - 17/10/10 at 05:28 PM

Flatshifter do the system that enables clutchless up and down gearshifts also electric gearshift systems with paddles
graz