Board logo

turbo question
Duncan Mould - 17/5/10 at 05:18 PM

This may sound daft but how do I adjust the turbo on my 130 tdi Passat PD engine?
managed to get a brand new cartridge from MAX SPEEDING RODS in America, shipped from China £160 hows that for locost
built it up at the weekend and it is over boosting at high speeds. Tried a new overboost valve last month and have had no problems since(other than it belching smoke out when the turbo was in) no smoke now and smooth boost up to about 70mph then it over boosts and drops out. I presume its the allen headed bolt and 8mm that you cant get at that I need to adjust? (set it to the same length as the old one)and does anyone know what it should be boosting up to (1.7bar I thought?)

zilspeed - 17/5/10 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Mould
This may sound daft but how do I adjust the turbo on my 130 tdi Passat PD engine?
managed to get a brand new cartridge from MAX SPEEDING RODS in America, shipped from China £160 hows that for locost
built it up at the weekend and it is over boosting at high speeds. Tried a new overboost valve last month and have had no problems since(other than it belching smoke out when the turbo was in) no smoke now and smooth boost up to about 70mph then it over boosts and drops out. I presume its the allen headed bolt and 8mm that you cant get at that I need to adjust? (set it to the same length as the old one)and does anyone know what it should be boosting up to (1.7bar I thought?)

Could you possibly break this down a bit ?

Not sure exactly what you're looking to do here.
Is it some sort of plug in tuning box you've bought ?

Stott - 17/5/10 at 05:42 PM

I know of a PD130 which is 173bhp 311lb/ft with a fuel map to suit and it holds 1.63 bar to make that on a std KKK turbo no adjustments.

If that's of any help...

carpmart - 17/5/10 at 05:52 PM

Take the tuning box off and just shorten the actuator arm a bit - easy!

MikeRJ - 17/5/10 at 07:53 PM

Who mentioned a tuning box?

GBaggott - 18/5/10 at 07:31 AM

over boosts then drops out... I'm confused.
If it overboosts its the pheumatic actuator arm you want to lengthen to put less preload on the wastegate so it it opens sooner and doesn't overboost.
When you say cartridge does that mean bearing housing with impeller and shaft and wheel, (core assembly). Just we get a lot of 'fakes' from china which don't perform and are very dangerous.