Board logo

Missing X-Flow
Ham - 22/10/07 at 08:03 AM

Hi All, I am experiencing a fuel related problem on my X Flow; on the track the engine pulls well except when braking for a slow tight left hand corner.
When accelerating out of the corner the car runs on three cylinders for a couple of seconds, then clears and pulls cleanly, as it is only on left handers I assume it is fuel related but I am unsure if it is flooding one cylinder or starving one cylinder? (twin 40's BTW)

Any ideas?

Cheers

Agriv8 - 22/10/07 at 08:14 AM

are you running a fuel swirl pot?

Regards

Agriv8

Ham - 22/10/07 at 08:54 AM

No Swirl pot, standard mech pump

Cheers

rallyingden - 22/10/07 at 09:03 AM

Are you running servo brakes with servo off one pot ?

RD

Fozzie - 22/10/07 at 09:35 AM

What tank have you got? Is it baffled? have you got fuel-foam in it? Where abouts on the tank is the pick-up pipe?

It sounds as though you may have fuel sloshng in the tank (momentum) and depriving the pick-up pipe momentarily......

I know you said that its on 'slow braking', but fluid, in this case petrol, doesn't slow as quickly as the car!

I think I would look at this in the first instance.... IMHO of course!

Fozzie

Edit to ask......... Is your fuel filter nice and clean?

[Edited on 22-10-07 by Fozzie]

02GF74 - 22/10/07 at 10:59 AM

sloshing fuel in tank would be the reason is the pickup is high up and the fuel is low surely???

could it be something to do with the fuel in the float chambers?

in a similar vein, I get engine cutting out going to a stop on a steep bumpy hill.

I am wondering if an electric fuel pump would help since the engine revs, which are related to fulel pump delivery. (apparently side draught carbs don't like being bumped around so enging mount/springs may need looking at).