Board logo

What's your daily driver
Mr Whippy - 13/5/22 at 05:30 PM

Hi,

Since I'm sitting here waiting on the 3d printer starting, I thought I'd do a what's your daily driver thread just out of curiosity and plain noseyness...

I'll start with my old Fiesta which I find quite funny, as at age 17 I also had a very old Fiesta and now at age 49, I still have very old Fiesta! oh dear

This seems to echo my friend at the times question of "if we know so much about cars, why is it we are driving the worst ones?!?" why indeed...

Although my first one was free and this "upgrade" cost me £230 so heading in the right direction

Those wondering what happened to the Leaf? the wife drives that now as her own car fell apart and the Fiesta suits my commute better.

Believe or not I plan on doing a tour round Europe in this thing

Slater - 13/5/22 at 06:05 PM

mine's a very boring but very practical 2012 VW Passat Estate, 2.0 Diesel. Quite happy with the thing and it will be kept till it falls apart.

HowardB - 13/5/22 at 06:07 PM

a 63 plate merc that has >100k miles and still turns in an average of 63mpg

Benzine - 13/5/22 at 07:42 PM

Skoda Yeti. Great car and just nudged over 100k but need something less thirsty. Not that it's really that bad, just because 2022.

snapper - 13/5/22 at 10:04 PM

Fiesta ST150, 2 x gearboxes, 1st engine rebuilt and ready to replace the second engine, rebuilt rear axle ready to go in when I can be asked, 165k miles

roadrunner - 13/5/22 at 10:17 PM

Audi A6 avant tractor engined power.
Great car for what it's designed to do. But it's missing quattro drive, semi-autamatic and a super charger.

[Edited on 13/5/22 by roadrunner]

rf900rush - 13/5/22 at 11:19 PM

BMW E46 325i Touring

And one of these on dry days
With a monster 11 horse power
I do get 120mpg

TNT
TNT

Simon - 14/5/22 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush

With a monster 11 horse power
I do get 120mpg

Love the TNT - spesh the green version, but also like the Grom (not the latest though).

On topic, got my fourth (and cheapest) Grand Espace. Got bullied and paid off from last job so couldn't justify keeping Insignia Estate which was fine as Cazoo gave me £1160 more than I paid for it with 15,000 fewer miles

Espace is great - 149,600 miles, original everything (major at least). Did have to replace part of the wiper mech as press fitted parts had come loose resulting in driver's wiper falling off edge of screen. Could probably do with tracking. Loads of space, very comfortable handles quite well for a barge.

Probably my favourite car (daily driver) of all time (my proper fave is SD1 Vitesse )

belgian2b - 14/5/22 at 07:46 AM

Hello,

3 weeks now that i have my BMW i4 40.

Quite different , but fine for what i do with it.

Autonomy is around 480 - 500 km . Reduced from a thirs with a big heavy trailer.

Gerardo

indykid - 14/5/22 at 09:50 AM

I run a '96 mk1 MX5 (59k miles 1.8 Harvard after an 18 month resto, retrofitted s-special accessories so it's not poverty spec anymore)

I've had a mk1 as a daily driver for the last 13 years, on my third now. First one written off in an accident, second one retired at 200k miles after running it for 10 years.

Not really sure what else I'd want if I had to find something else. It's just a good job I'm working from home most of the time because the fuel economy would kill me. That said, SWMBO's petrol CRV doesn't do much better.

perksy - 14/5/22 at 10:10 AM

We have a 2017 Mazda CX3 Sportive and a 2016 Mini Cooper Convertible

SteveWalker - 14/5/22 at 01:26 PM

A model B Zafira. As a family of 5 and a DIYer, the 7 seats (to accommodate friends), space for items/materials and the ability to tow made it a good choice.

We are currently looking at a Hyundai Kona EV to replace my wife's Matiz - in which case, I'll drive the Kona for commuting, etc. and my wife will keep the Zafira as towing/long distance/7-seat/capacity vehicle, as she drives only rarely and it'll cost very little in fuel.

David Jenkins - 14/5/22 at 03:06 PM

Kia e-Niro (fully electric). To put it simply, it does exactly what I want it to do - no more, no less.

It's been a while since I've been happy with a car, but this is very, very close. I used to have a second-generation Nissan Leaf, and I hated it. This one is just fine and I enjoy driving it (I haven't owned many cars I can say that about).

My wife now has a Renault Zoe and I must admit that it's a good car - a little small for me, but ideal for her.

40inches - 14/5/22 at 03:12 PM

MK Indy AJ30, Sold the SAAB 9-5 as only did 450miles in the last year.
Description
Description

mcerd1 - 14/5/22 at 03:50 PM

still the increasingly rusty old C-Max for me...

definitely time for a replacement, but the prices are too crazy at the moment

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
MK Indy AJ30...

^thats just showing off

computid - 14/5/22 at 03:58 PM

2010 Mazda 6 GH Sport 2.2d Estate. 6 speed manual, Bose sound package, and I retrofitted an Apple Car Play head unit. I bought it for £550 + £100 delivery in 2019 on 162k miles and parked it up. I sold my Range Rover in 2020 and just wanted a stop-gap so I put it back on the road, and found that its actually quite a nice place to be! It's up to 180k miles now. I change the oil & filter every 12k miles, and otherwise the only work its needed has been:

- 3x new brake callipers as the old ones had seized (£160 pattern parts, plus £30~ of sliding pins, clips, fluid, etc.)
- 4x brake discs (£120)
- complete set of brake pads (£70)
- High pressure diesel vacuum servo (£45)
- 3 Tyres (£310)
- A replacement auto-headlight adjustment rod and ball joints (made my own) (£30)
- Various bulbs (£10)
- Nearside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint (fixed by a garage as I was too busy) (£120)

So £895 of works, plus a £180 head unit, means that I've spent a total of £1725 on what has so far been 18k miles of motoring, making an average of about 9p per mile in vehicle cost.

It gets 40mpg, and I've spent £3170.90 on fuel over the past 18k miles. Insurance is £220~ per year, and road tax is £220, so I've spent £440 on insurance, and £440 on road tax. So that means so far, I've spent a total of £5775.90, meaning an average of 32p per mile over the past 18k miles all in. If we factor in the current value of the vehicle, which according to eBay pricing seems to be around £1200 given its age and condition, that drops to around 25p per mile. Given the current average cost per mile of owning a car in the UK is apparently 47p, I'm pretty happy with my cost!

Also, to be honest, the fact that I can throw anything in it, drive it almost anywhere, park it without worrying about it, and just generally have a more care free view on car ownership has actually been really nice. I'm about to start commuting around 250 miles each week so I suppose we'll see how it holds up then!

[Edited on 14/5/22 by computid]

40inches - 14/5/22 at 06:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
MK Indy AJ30...

^thats just showing off

No! It's the only car I have when the wife is at work

mark chandler - 14/5/22 at 06:23 PM

2013 XC70 D5

Had it maybe 7 years now, it’s been amazing fast, roomy very powerful when towing with a great stereo.

contaminated - 15/5/22 at 01:44 PM

BMW M240i vert is the daily. Bearing in mind it's a 70 mile round trip to work it's not the most sensible choice, but it's much better than the scooby it replaced. It's done a couple of track days too.

Also have an MX5 NC (although we've effectively given that to our daughter in law as of this weekend) and a Qashqai. Might replace the NC with another, newer one (debating the ND, but there is something about the NC I love) or a 500 Abarth cab.

nick205 - 15/5/22 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slater
mine's a very boring but very practical 2012 VW Passat Estate, 2.0 Diesel. Quite happy with the thing and it will be kept till it falls apart.

Had 2 of these myself. One a company car and one a private car. Loved them, cavernous boot, reasonable economy and they just trundled on and on.

Now unable to drive (epilepsy) so it's feet bus and train.

b14wrc - 15/5/22 at 03:28 PM

My daily is an 2008 Audi R8 V8 manual with 35k miles on it, fortunately I work from home most of the time which reduces my fuel bill and keeps the miles off it. Just home from a Sunday blast with my 5 year old son, very pleasant afternoon out.

Have a 2016 Landrover Discovery sport HSE black edition for the family wagon.

Rob

b14wrc - 15/5/22 at 03:29 PM

What you printing today mr Whippy?

ken555 - 15/5/22 at 07:17 PM

I went back to my youth, and bought a Japanese, AWD, Turbo.

Well ok a few more details, 2.5L Diesel

b14wrc - 15/5/22 at 07:30 PM

I had a mk2 fiesta as my first car, was 15 and had a popular plus, made it look like an XR2 and painted it yellow.

scudderfish - 15/5/22 at 07:52 PM

A Kia Stinger. It's quick, quiet and rare.

Mr Whippy - 16/5/22 at 06:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc

A mixture of model King George V battleship (1:72) and King Tiger tank (1:10) parts, it never ends

swanny - 16/5/22 at 07:40 AM

Started off with a Fiesta too, 1985 pop plus, wish I still had it. I've looked a few times at buying another but i'd need another garage

current daily is a Jag XF diesel portfolio. always wanted a newish jag after loving a very knackered s-type.

drives nicely, but seats are amazingly uncomfortable. miss my old rover 75 seats!

b14wrc - 16/5/22 at 09:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by b14wrc

A mixture of model King George V battleship (1:72) and King Tiger tank (1:10) parts, it never ends

Very interesting, like to see the finished model.

SJ - 16/5/22 at 10:01 AM

Mazda 6 2.0 petrol estate for me. Bought it new in 2017 and plan to keep it until it dies, or at least is very old.

Brilliant car though as it averages 43mpg on unleaded and drives really nice. So far just had oil changes & air filters. Changed the brake pads at 43k miles but they probably would have lasted another 10k.

It's so much nicer to drive than the last few diesels I had.

nick205 - 16/5/22 at 05:12 PM

Only 1 so far on this thread, but I wonder how many use their kits as daily drivers?

I didn't when I had mine, but I did use it when I could. Got a few soakings, but part living with using it.

craig1410 - 16/5/22 at 06:52 PM

2008 BMW 535d E61 for me. 286BHP of diesel power and around 40 MPG. Practical with a large boot and roof rails and fun to drive on the twisties too, with incredibly comfortable seats. Was around £60k new but I paid £8k just over two years ago when it had done 105k miles. Been reliable for me so far but I tend to go for preventative maintenance rather than waiting for stuff to break.

Not sure what I would buy to replace it. Our other car is an i3 BEV and we're not quite ready for 2 EVs.

Description
Description

[Edited on 16/5/2022 by craig1410]

Mr Whippy - 16/5/22 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Only 1 so far on this thread, but I wonder how many use their kits as daily drivers?

I didn't when I had mine, but I did use it when I could. Got a few soakings, but part living with using it.

I built one of these a very long time ago and drove it as my only car for around 5 years regardless of the weather. It was ok, had a decent cortina heater, was kinda weather proof, but noisy, bouncy and utterly impractical. Only storage was a tiny bit behind the seat and the luggage rack at the back. I'm quite short and it felt very small to me!

Saying that I'd definitely have one again but would not take the kids in it and it would need to have a more modern engine than the 2ltr pinto.

nick205 - 17/5/22 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

I built one of these a very long time ago and drove it as my only car for around 5 years regardless of the weather. It was ok, had a decent cortina heater, was kinda weather proof, but noisy, bouncy and utterly impractical. Only storage was a tiny bit behind the seat and the luggage rack at the back. I'm quite short and it felt very small to me!

Saying that I'd definitely have one again but would not take the kids in it and it would need to have a more modern engine than the 2ltr pinto.

Fair play Mr Whippy.

Mine was an MK Indy, 2.0 Pinto, no roof, screen or heater.