Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear washer
Ninehigh

posted on 16/1/10 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Rear washer

On Autodata's "common problems" list is that the pipe going to the rear washer is too short, so it keeps popping out and then trying to clean the back window results in soaking everywhere with washer fluid... It says to fit a longer pipe but that's going to be a right pita so my options are:

1. Get someone else to do it (yeah right)
2. Fit some sort of extension.
3. Gaffer tape it up like mad and hope it holds this time.

I'd like to go for option 2 as it probably only needs to be an inch or so longer, so does this pipe come in a standard size and are there connectors for it? Also anyone know where I could get 2 inches of washer pipe from? Would have looked around for it but as usual I've no idea what I'm asking for and trying to do so results in strange looks!

snapper

posted on 16/1/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
B&Q do some small pipe connectors for automatic plant watering systems which will push into the washer feed that and some washer pipe will extend the feed.
Or breakers yard for washer pipe and T piece, cut down and fill one part of the T piece with araldite.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

iank

posted on 16/1/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I believe the pipe is a standard size, but it's going to be difficult to get that short a length, but it's cheap stuff.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/windscreen-wash---wipe-114-c.asp

Only sensible way to join it is to get one of the little barbed joiners. (like the T piece on the above link but with only in and out.

Halfords probably stock it (for more money but no p&p)

Edit: Ebay to the rescue

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Connector-join-for-4mm-windscreen-washer-jet-tube-pipe_W0QQitemZ390141724463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM ?hash=item5ad642472f#ht_787wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/180cm-1-8m-of-4mm-windscreen-washer-jet-tube-pipe_W0QQitemZ390136080578QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash =item5ad5ec28c2#ht_787wt_1167

[Edited on 16/1/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

austin man

posted on 16/1/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Local motor factors usually stock it and connectors

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Ninehigh

posted on 16/1/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I believe the pipe is a standard size, but it's going to be difficult to get that short a length, but it's cheap stuff.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/windscreen-wash---wipe-114-c.asp

Aha, are you talking about the non-return valve? Also would that mean no waiting for the pump to push the water through anymore?

dinosaurjuice

posted on 16/1/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
local pet shop.

the same stuff is used for airlines in aquariums - including non return valves.

[Edited on 16/1/10 by dinosaurjuice]

skodaman

posted on 16/1/10 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
As Dinosaurjuice says use aquarium airline. 25p a metre for plastic 35p a metre for silicon. Silicon stuff is probably better cos as it's all slightly smaller diameter than car stuff it's a tight fit. Silicon stretches a bit easier, and doesn't age harden.
One-way valves 1.70-£3.00 for good ones, 50p for cheap nasty ones that break too easily. 10p for a straight connector and job done. Oh I'd lockwire or superglue the pipe to any connector to make sure it doesn't come off.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 17/1/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, I shall have to go find one on my next day off (looks at calendar)

Is using smaller pipe going to make a difference (because less water can get through) or is it only a tiny bit smaller?

Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/10 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys, and thanks for all the replies to all my other questions too. I got to get out of the habit of forgetting to do that

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.