Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Latest snake oil...
Liam

posted on 16/1/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Latest snake oil...

Good god! I guess you have to give credit where it's due - these people have pretty incredible imaginations to come up with this crap...

"The fuel economizer is a break-through, patent-pending invention in fuel conservation. The fuel economizer will let you save on petrol just by plugging it into your cigarette lighter socket. Your petrol consumption will decrease by 10% to 30%. The fuel economizer is fitted with an electrolytic capacitor that connects to the cars main electrical system electronically. It acts like a small battery that helps your car's electrical system perform better. The capacitor then charges and discharges voltage when there is heavy demand from the alternator. Instead of the battery working overtime, the fuel economizer compensates the required voltage for devices such as lights, windscreen wipers, stereo, air conditioning and sat nav. Instead of the alternator and battery having to work overtime, the device supplements the required voltage to reduce the load on the electrical system from any accessory that is being used. The reduced electrical demand frees up energy that can be better used to deliver a more constant and steady supply of electricity to the spark plugs and ignition system. The result is a more efficient and complete combustion of petrol which will improve you gas mileage and produce cleaner emissions. This in turn WILL save you money. The blue LED will light up once the connection is made. This tells you that the fuel economizer is silently working. "

LI NKY

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 16/1/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
*Snork* owww, tea in the sinuses hurts, owww.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedyxjs

posted on 16/1/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Instead of the battery working overtime, the fuel economizer compensates the required voltage for devices such as lights, windscreen wipers, stereo, air conditioning and sat nav. Instead of the alternator and battery having to work overtime

Most people only drive in the daytime so lights would hardly be used, wipers would only but used 50% of the time (if you live in england) stereo hardly used any power at all nowadays and satnav is normally powered by the ciggy lighter which is used up by this piece of [insert suitable word here].

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scudderfish

posted on 16/1/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
All power in the car ultimately derives from the fuel burnt. Unless this is something that is charged externally from the car, it can only be a further drain.

In technical terms, it's toss.

MautoK

posted on 16/1/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
patent pending?
oh yes

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

ashg

posted on 16/1/10 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
what we should do is set-up something like this but instead of sending the advertised item we should send bombs to wipe them out as they are obviously to stupid to be alive.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ReMan

posted on 16/1/10 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fcuk me!
The only possible benefit you might get from that is a few less clicks on your radio!
But you do have to wonder if we're the stupid ones for not having thought, built and sold it to the hordes of retards out there who are drawn in

Benzine

posted on 16/1/10 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm so getting one of these. That and my electric supercharger will make me the envy of all my friends!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 17/1/10 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Just need some magnets round the fuel pipes to co-ordinate the reticulation of the fuel molecules and you'll be zero emmision!!
Macbeast

posted on 17/1/10 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
What about the extra consumption of the blue LED ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

speedyxjs

posted on 17/1/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I'm so getting one of these. That and my electric supercharger will make me the envy of all my friends!

Dont forget the ashtray for your motorbike

Ninehigh

posted on 17/1/10 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe I should send them a polite email debunking everything they say and then ask them how it really saves fuel (the placebo effect causes you to drive a little more carefully)

That bloke off Fifth Gear (who doesn't appear to be on it now, so I can't find his name ) did a programme about this kind of thing and they found that the magnet thing did have an effect, although it was more likely through the above "placebo" effect

Oh this is going to do my head in now it's not Tiff Needell, I'm sure he was on Top Gear many years ago too...

Bingo Quentin Wilson, thank you wikipedia

[Edited on 17/1/10 by Ninehigh]

02GF74

posted on 17/1/10 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Your petrol consumption will decrease by 10% to 30%.

I am gonna fit 4 in my volvo and then sell on the unused petrol.

speedyxjs

posted on 17/1/10 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Your petrol consumption will decrease by 10% to 30%.

I am gonna fit 4 in my volvo and then sell on the unused petrol.

Why not fit a few more and sell the petrol you will be making?

Liam

posted on 17/1/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Some rough calculations show me that with one of these, some magnets on my fuel lines, one of those brown's gas kits, a resistor, an electric fan in my inlet, and a windmill in my exhaust, my standard vauxhall omega 3.0 ought to top 800bhp whilst returning about 150mpg!! Where's my credit card?! And DAMN those car makers, all in cahoots with BIG OIL for trying to keep these secrets from us!!!!!!!
Ninehigh

posted on 18/1/10 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Some rough calculations show me that with one of these, some magnets on my fuel lines, one of those brown's gas kits, a resistor, an electric fan in my inlet, and a windmill in my exhaust, my standard vauxhall omega 3.0 ought to top 800bhp whilst returning about 150mpg!! Where's my credit card?! And DAMN those car makers, all in cahoots with BIG OIL for trying to keep these secrets from us!!!!!!!

You know what would be really funny is if all this s**t actually worked and we're the ones losing out cos we're all just cynical barstewards

Liam

posted on 18/1/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, you might be on to someth...

Naaaaaaah!!

Wow - check this one out! He sells the lot of them. LOL - If you can bare to even look at that mess for more than 10 seconds, you'll find this little gem...

"3. If you do not have power steering you will know how the vehicle turns. Now after installing the vs39, you will notice that the steering is much lighter when driving."

Er... huh?... words cannot describe teh stupid

iank

posted on 18/1/10 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Naaaaaaah!!

Wow - check this one out! He sells the lot of them. LOL - If you can bare to even look at that mess for more than 10 seconds, you'll find this little gem...

"3. If you do not have power steering you will know how the vehicle turns. Now after installing the vs39, you will notice that the steering is much lighter when driving."

Bet the device comes from the far east, the translation almost certainly does.

I do like "You may not quite understand how it works, but accept that it does !".

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

adithorp

posted on 18/1/10 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Naaaaaaah!!

On Friday we were going through all these ads at brew time and this is the one that we declared the best of the lot.

This line is briliant... "You may not quite understand how it works, but acept that it does!"

We then started making up new claims for it. You'll now be happy to know that your partners tit's will enlarge as will your... Well I'll leave that to your inagination.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/10 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
Naaah couldn't get that far, the colour scheme was going to make me squinty and who uses comic sans for something like that?

Liam

posted on 19/1/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome! one for the home! Almost certainly another box-o-capacitor. 3 bonus points for explaining why it appears to 'work' in the video

Liam

Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Awesome! one for the home! Almost certainly another box-o-capacitor. 3 bonus points for explaining why it appears to 'work' in the video

Liam

The same way Darren Brown "predicted" the lottery results?

MautoK

posted on 19/1/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Liam

Power factor correction. A fridge is basically just an electric motor so a box of C will bring I closer in phase with V and hence lower the apparent power consumption.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

Ninehigh

posted on 19/1/10 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
quote:

Liam

Power factor correction. A fridge is basically just an electric motor so a box of C will bring I closer in phase with V and hence lower the apparent power consumption.

Don't forget to factor in the P value or your steak pie will turn into a cheese one

Liam

posted on 20/1/10 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
quote:

Liam

Correctamundo.

[geek with leccy eng degree]
That current clamp would measure total apparent current which for that load would include a large proportion of reactive current (basically flowing to and fro between the load and supply, but never consumed). The box of capacitor allows the reactive current to flow to and fro locally between the load and the capacitor so it isn't measured on that current clamp - i.e. the fridge appears to have a better power factor as MautoK says. The thing is, domestic customers are not billed for reactive current so power factor correction is pretty much completely pointless and saves you no money at all! If that current clamp was replaced with a proper Watt meter (i.e. measuring what you actually pay for) its figures wouldn't have changed at all.
[/geek with leccy eng degree]

Just another example of how conmen can dupe people (quite convincingly in this case unless you have some quite high level knowledge) into believing their snake oil works! Beware!

Liam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.