Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Random question about spraying parts
David Jenkins

posted on 23/4/21 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Random question about spraying parts

Over the years I have either cleaned up old parts, or made new ones, and sprayed them using rattle cans. This works fine, except a year later when I try to use the cans again to spray something new they just don't work. Sometimes they fail just a few weeks later. I have tried soaking the nozzles in assorted solvents with limited success - usually they work for a little while then choke up again. I always invert the cans to clear the nozzle when I've finished, but they still die. I have also tried just about all of the dubious remedies you can find on YouTube! (apart from the clearly stupid/dangerous ones). I now have a shelf-full of old and useless rattle cans.

The reason for this post is that I have a Badger 250-2 external mix 'airbrush' and a proper airbrush compressor and it seems sensible to me to use those instead. Note that I call it an 'airbrush' as it isn't really a proper one but it is still much, much better than most rattle cans. I used previously it to spray a model steam loco and was very pleased with the results. It has a small pot that contains enough paint for the small jobs I need to do, and it's incredibly easy to clean after I've finished.

My question ("at last!" I hear you cry) is - what paint to use? I normally use Plasticote rattle cans, or similar stuff - what can I buy in small containers that would be similar? I mostly need to paint stuff black, in gloss or satin.

Oddified

posted on 23/4/21 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Tins of rustoleum, many colours and with a bit of thinners sprays very well.
David Jenkins

posted on 23/4/21 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'd forgotten about rustoleum - thanks for that tip!

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/4/21 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I'd forgotten about rustoleum - thanks for that tip!

I'm painting my whole car with Rustoleum cans. It's very cost effective and the finish turned out excellent. Plus it can be buffed up later if needed.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
harmchar

posted on 23/4/21 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the process of touching up the black satin chassis and suspension parts with Jenolite Directorust. Really impressed with results. Self levels brilliantly with no brush marks. If it was thinned down it would be great in the airbrush. I might try this weekend with my own airbrush but I only have cellulose thinners so not sure how it will thin.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08NF1W324/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_M74ETV4BB7K88QQA0A7Y

snapper

posted on 24/4/21 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I think plasticote is your issue, normal rattle cans if you clear the nozzle work for ages, I also keep them in the warm or warm them up in the house for a day before use.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/21 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I think plasticote is your issue, normal rattle cans if you clear the nozzle work for ages, I also keep them in the warm or warm them up in the house for a day before use.

It's not just plasticote, I have other brands that give up if left for a long time without use. I've tried everything, including sitting the cans in a bucket of warm water for a while (not too hot!). I've also soaked the nozzles in assorted thinners, but that doesn't really work. I always clear the nozzles after spraying too.

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/4/21 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Had a smart repir done on my car a while ago. The nice chap turned up, but his aerosols of paint were all stored upside down. He reckons that is teh way they are supposed to be stored, and stop nozzles clogging. Makes sense, the internal tube to the base is not left immersed in ever-thickening paint solids.
paulf

posted on 25/4/21 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I have a theory that modern aerosol cans no longer contain CFCs and use butane or similiar nowadays and it is not as good a propellant gas with probably a lower vapour presssure and insuficent amount in the can.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.