Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford code reader
cliftyhanger

posted on 9/2/23 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ford code reader

My dear BILs 2008 mondeo has failed its MOT, but only a series of easy to fix faults EXCEPT the SRS dash light is on. Apparently it has been doing it on and off for a few years, but tends to be on motre than off thesedays.

So it looks like I need an OBD scanner to get some clues. I have a basic stand alone, but not good enough to tell me anything useful. Any suggestions for something cheap and cheerful? I believe ther are some bluetooth dongles available, and an app? I have also seen mention of forscan.

Any pointers would be great before I buy something that doesn't do what I need. Ta.

gremlin1234

posted on 9/2/23 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
start with torque, (the free lite version is good enough) certainly works on android, with cheep bluetooth units.
may not decode the fault, but should give the raw fault code, and can also monitor live.

I believe forscan is good too, but can easily get complex.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/2/23 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've had issues with Bluetooth dongles trying to get them to run on Android devices or even my windows laptop although they work perfectly with Apple ones. Instead I bought a dongle with a USB lead and then had no issues.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 10/2/23 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Check and clean the plugs under the driver's seat.
adithorp

posted on 11/2/23 at 02:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Check and clean the plugs under the driver's seat.

Commonest cause in my experience is dirty connectors under the seat to the seat belt stalks. Clean with contact cleaner and see if it hoes away.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

cliftyhanger

posted on 11/2/23 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps.
I had offered to have a go this coming Monday, but as usual no response yet.
I am hoping it si just some dirty/poor connections. I wil start under the seats.

I take it no dannger of airbags going off? Or should I disconnect the battery and leave it all to discharge?
Ta

adithorp

posted on 12/2/23 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

I take it no dannger of airbags going off? Or should I disconnect the battery and leave it all to discharge?
Ta

Never had/bothered to and not had a belt pretentioner go off... yet.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

stevebubs

posted on 14/2/23 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used Torque and Forscan on my Kuga and Mk3 Mondeo quite successfully
cliftyhanger

posted on 15/2/23 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Had the car visit on Monday. Washer was blocked, but not the jet or teh one way valve (took them off and I could plow through easily enough) But teh washer tube was somehow blocked, 30psi fromn teh compressor shifted that and all sorted. But what on earth are teh electrics in the washer jet? a heater or something?

Horn, a rummage and wiggle sorted that.

Back box had a hole next to teh pipe exit, I offered to weld it but he declined (stupid, it was a 20 min job) and he is returning with £85 of new box today.

But the SRS. I ended up taking the seats right out as so simple. Lots of switch cleaner, wiggling etc and light is now out, but I am not convinced. I guess if it goes through the MoT then all is well.

Quick Q. If the emissions have passed, will they retest with the rear box fixed? I suspect not as if it fails the initial test it takes 10 mins to do a full test cycle. MoT testers don't like doing that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.