Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Found this interesting
roadrunner

posted on 4/4/23 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Found this interesting

https://youtu.be/kx-DyuIcGGc

I found this interesting, especially as I run a hard mounted bike engine.

russbost

posted on 4/4/23 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting, but bear in mind they are trying to flog you their wonder washers, in 20 years of working with hard mounted bike engines & around 15 or so vehicles, I never had a nylock nut come undone on any part of the car, spring washered ones, yes, tho' not frequently & mainly wing mountings so possibly some particular wind speed oscillation involved on top of any existing vibration

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JAG

posted on 4/4/23 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting video but if the nut and bolt are tightened to an appropriate torque this doesn't happen.

In that video I didn't find any mention of how the joint was designed, what load it was taking etc....

The difficult bit is calculating the "appropriate torque" for the bolt/nut.

I have been involved in designing the bolted joint between brake calipers and suspension knuckles for the last 25 years. If you understand the load being transferred through the joint and you know all the details of the parts involved it's perfectly possible to design a plain old bolted joint that will last for the life of the car when driven over even the roughest roads or when used with a solid mounted engine or transmission.

[Edited on 4/4/23 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

mcerd1

posted on 4/4/23 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
^^ they are good and are 100% reusable (with care taken to make sure thay are the right way round) - I've used them for quite a few years now

https://www.nord-lock.com/en-gb/nord-lock/?_gl=1*1f4w55n*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla-hBhD7ARIsAM9tQKtSTCZeR3xLHbHpIDZSit7rVqAkcQD-m0J1oTyKzbtrEIQ_xY btqHcaAkxbEALw_wcB

but they don't work for every application - and if you don't use them right they don't work at all
main things to keep in mind are:

1 - if your not torqueing them down properly they won't work - they need to bite in ( here's the torque guide: linky - give recommended values for each size & grade )

2 - if you want to use them with a bolt & nut then you need a pair of them (one under the bolt head / one under the nut)

3 - you can't use them in combination with any other washers

I've got a few on the car too, mainly things like the front upright pinch & propshaft bolts - all stuff that would typically only get a bit of threadlock (not that there is anything much wrong with that - just the washers might come off a little easier in future)

[Edited on 4/4/2023 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 4/4/2023 by mcerd1]

-

coyoteboy

posted on 4/4/23 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I too have used them on fasteners in high vibration environments. They worked perfectly.

That said, I'd go with nylok until it proved to be not enough, and then I'd be looking at why the joint was struggling.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/23 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've been going to my local fastener supplier (Suffolk Fasteners, Ipswich) for at least 15 years, maybe more.

Every time I've gone there, I've seen an advert for these washers fixed over the sales counter.

jacko

posted on 4/4/23 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
They look like fancy star washers to me
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 5/4/23 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Nylon locking nuts have done me OK in the past and I'd stick with them going forwards.

The YouTube video seems to me a marketing video to me for their product.

coyoteboy

posted on 5/4/23 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
They look like fancy star washers to me
Graham

Sort of. But not. Star washers just get crushed flat and become useless for their task.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/23 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you engine vibrates to that level then you have other problems...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 5/4/23 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
If you engine vibrates to that level then you have other problems...

You'd be surprised. Every hard mounted 4 cyl I've ridden in has been really quite shocking.

red22

posted on 5/4/23 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely of all the motorbikes I've owned the engine has always stayed in the frame without a hint of them dropping out.
loggyboy

posted on 5/4/23 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
'friction not reliable locking method'
99.9999% of friction held bolts everywhere 'hold my beer'

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/4/23 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
In all my years of cars and bikes I've yet to see a single correctly tightened nut fall off. The amount of energy in their test rig must be like a Saturn rocket!

Then again stop motion is quite easy to do...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.