Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: De-ice
jacko

posted on 29/11/23 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
De-ice

Hi all
If I put a hand lamp say 100a in my car on the drive working would it keep the car windows de-iced
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 29/11/23 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
100a at mains would certainly heat a car, it is 24kw.
I suspect you mean 100w, and yes it would help. but I think the windscreen would still ice up on cold nights.

Simon

posted on 29/11/23 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Probably just put small fan heater in the car (on a timer). Or an infrared heater on wall facing car - might work
adithorp

posted on 29/11/23 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not in an MK Indy
cliftyhanger

posted on 29/11/23 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
In my leaky old Triumph Herald, I sat a 1kw fan heater on a box on the back seat, facing the windscreen. Popped it on 20 mins before I left home, all defrosted. That car had more ice inside than out....
I half wished I had fitted a "hot start" gizmo, so the engine would have been preheated and teh car heater would have defrosted the screen PDQ.

JoelP

posted on 29/11/23 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Much more efficient to use a 1kw heater before you set off.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/11/23 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
i just put ones of those plastic frost covers on at night, their around £5 and you can stick it in the boot for work if it looks like its going to snow. Works great and saves a fortune in de-icer.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 4/12/23 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Zip lock bag with warm tap water. Never needed anything else.
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/23 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
The electric car defrosts & preheats itself all toasty, including the steering wheel ready for when you leave. it's a pity the wife is always using it
nick205

posted on 4/12/23 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

I get sent out with a jug of warm tap water to de-ice SWMBOs car in the morning (outside). All frost/ice gone instantly and ready to go (while she's indoors in the warm getting her coat on.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/23 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

I get sent out with a jug of warm tap water to de-ice SWMBOs car in the morning (outside). All frost/ice gone instantly and ready to go (while she's indoors in the warm getting her coat on.

Yeah works very well and despite the usual warnings from those who do not know better, it will not crack your windows.

swanny

posted on 5/12/23 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm trying that!

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/23 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not sure what you mean, are you laying it on the glass on or on the dash? or maybe something else...

nick205

posted on 6/12/23 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Yeah works very well and despite the usual warnings from those who do not know better, it will not crack your windows.

Exactly, warm tap water, not boiling kettle water.

Never had any damage occur or I'd have stopped doing it straight away.

craig1410

posted on 7/12/23 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The electric car defrosts & preheats itself all toasty, including the steering wheel ready for when you leave. it's a pity the wife is always using it

We've had a BMW i3 since January 2017 and my wife is the main driver. She absolutely LOVES the "precondition for departure" feature.

When we used to have neighbours before moving to a country cottage, she used to delight in walking out of the house at 7am without a jacket, on a freezing morning with coffee in hand and just jumping in and driving away while the neighbours were all scraping away at their windscreens.

78,388 miles later, she still loves the car and has no intention to buy de-icer or visit a petrol station ever again!

[Edited on 7/12/2023 by craig1410]

nick205

posted on 7/12/23 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

We've had a BMW i3 since January 2017 and my wife is the main driver. She absolutely LOVES the "precondition for departure" feature.

When we used to have neighbours before moving to a country cottage, she used to delight in walking out of the house at 7am without a jacket, on a freezing morning with coffee in hand and just jumping in and driving away while the neighbours were all scraping away at their windscreens.

78,388 miles later, she still loves the car and has no intention to buy de-icer or visit a petrol station ever again!

[Edited on 7/12/2023 by craig1410]

Currently not driving (epilepsy) so it's bus & train with a coat on for me.

When driving in the winter I...

Kept a coat in the car boot (cannot be driving wearing a coat)
Left the house with a jug of warm tap water in the morning
Set off for work (car warm in 5-10 minutes)
Favourite bit...my own choice of music and nobody listening to my god awful singing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.