Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spanish MOT??
pewe

posted on 12/7/24 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Spanish MOT??

A friend in Spain has carried out a renovation/update on his 70's Jeep.
It's Spanish registered and has previously passed their equivalent of MOT.
The test centre has now declined to test it as the seats and harnesses aren't original.
Unfortunately he no longer has the originals.
He's thinking of bringing it back to the UK for testing but I reckon that's fraught with loads more difficulties, the least of which is getting it cross border/s.
Any suggestions please?
TIA. Cheers, Pewe

adithorp

posted on 12/7/24 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
A UK MoT (even if it can be done here**) won't be accepted in Spain will it?

**Can a none UK registered vehicle be logged into the MoT computer system?

Modified cars can be an issue in some euro countries. Is it worth looking I to how things like rally cars get around it?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

overdriver

posted on 14/7/24 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
The Spanish ITV (MOT equivalent) uses the manufacturers' Certificate of Conformity (CoC) as the basis for the vehicle being as per specified. I would doubt that seats and harnesses would be listed in the CoC (particularly for a 1970s car even if a CoC exists). It is possible that the tester noticed that the seats/belts are obviously a modern addition and therefore condemned the vehicle for being 'modified'.
It would be worthwhile approaching RACE (Royal Automobile of Spain) for clarification of what changes are freely allowed and what changes need approval (homologation). Homologation requires certification that the work was carried out by a professionally qualified technician. My understanding is that changes to the interior of the vehicle which do not compromise the safety of occupants do not need approval. One further suggestion is to approach a different test centre as this can bring about a different result. Alternatively, source some original seats and fit them purely for the ITV. You see so many cars here (Mallorca) with wider than standard wheels and modified exhausts but you can be sure that the owners retain the originals for the test.
I sold my Tiger Supercat prior to moving here as I knew there would be registration difficulties. Imagine my frustration when I discovered my neighbour runs around in his Caterham!

pewe

posted on 15/7/24 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I'll pass them on.
It never ceases to amaze me the font of knowledge on this forum - long may it continue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.