Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GATSO
NS Dev

posted on 14/12/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
Speed limits were introduced on Motorways in the 60's when many cars could not do 70mph, and the brakes they had were pretty inadequate for those sort of speeds (get in a drum braked saloon car and try for yourself!!).

70mph can be far too fast, but 140 can be perfectly safe (in fact, a judge agreed that over 150mph is safe), it depends on the car, the road condition, the weather and the driver. Trouble is a camera can't differentiate these things and will not prosecute the dangerous driver who is below the limit passing the camera. I like driving fast, as I guess most on this forum do, and some of the limits are pretty arbitary, and often unrealistic. Why do straight roads, with no houses which used to be de-restricted now have 40mph limits? There are plenty round here like that.

There should be only one driving offence - dangerous driving. That offence would cover anything which endangers others in whatever way.

Perfectly put, just the point I made above as well.

Speed limits should be a guide, not black and white, as you say, they can be WAY too fast for some conditions, but the same arseholes that sing the praises of the speed cameras are probably the ones that drive at the same speed in the dry, wet, fog, ice snow etc and then wonder why they crash..............never any trouble with the police though as they never broke the law, they were just totally inept and incompetent.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.