Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX14 pics of the inside and the AB performance sump.
GBaggott

posted on 3/1/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
ZX14 pics of the inside and the AB performance sump.

I have got a zx14 sump from AB Performance. It is gated and baffled (although i'm still waiting for another plate).

I thought anybody planning or using a zx14 might like a look.

There are more pictures of inside the engine, and the sump on the engine in my archive. Rescued attachment Sump.JPG
Rescued attachment Sump.JPG

daniel mason

posted on 3/1/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Am thinking of using zx14! it just looks very expensive? have you any idea of total cost for everything. i have a stm zx9r and think i will go for zx14 next if price is right.
skippad

posted on 3/1/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Neet!
when did u order it.
I'm still waiting for info on delivery dates.
Asked them for one about 3months ago.
Are u remote fitting oil filter?
Have run engine, how much shorter is it.
What was eventual price.
thanks
Dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skippad

posted on 3/1/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Am thinking of using zx14! it just looks very expensive? have you any idea of total cost for everything. i have a stm zx9r and think i will go for zx14 next if price is right.

Daniel
With the engine and all bits its going to cost u 3.5 to 4 grand.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GBaggott

posted on 3/1/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
-

Ive just sent you a u2u dan,

It was around £500 with a take off plate for a remote filter.
I will be fitting a remote filter and oil cooler. Planning on putting the oil temp sensor in the filter craddle and the sump has a tapping for a pressure sensor.

It is about 50mm shorter so well worth doing.
No quite a way off running the engine, probably about a month.
Ordered it around 2 months ago, Andy was vague on delivery dates when i ordered. It got delayed 2 weeks from the first date he gave us but i think it was the first batch so to be expected really.

GBaggott

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

Daniel
With the engine and all bits its going to cost u 3.5 to 4 grand.......

In the process the 3.5 - 4 sounds right but you can offset it slightly selling the zx9,

skippad

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Why do need oil cooler when theres already an integral one on engine?.
I've used engine for 6 months with no overheating problems.
What are u putting engine in?

GBaggott

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Why do need oil cooler when theres already an integral one on engine?.
I've used engine for 6 months with no overheating problems.
What are u putting engine in?

The filter usually is on the sump, to fit the filter now you have to put a take off plate where the cooler is.
The take off plate supplied by AB isn't compatable to re-attach the cooler.

I don't think there is another way to do it?? unless you know then that could save me some cash.

The engine is going in an MNR vortx. Changed from a 2006 r1.

How is the engine? and what car do you have it in?

skippad

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ah...
I wondered how Andy was going to relocate filter...I'll have to investigate further.
Engines in MK Indy with full roll cage, used to have a Fireblade...OK but i'm really glad i made change.
Loads of grunt. was running with 3.62 diff but running out of revs at 110mph, changed to 3.14 now tops out at 137!
Everybody i take out in it, is totally blown away by the experience.
A couple of mates who have MNR's with R1's try to keep up...but give up!

GBaggott

posted on 3/1/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah...
I wondered how Andy was going to relocate filter...I'll have to investigate further.
Engines in MK Indy with full roll cage, used to have a Fireblade...OK but i'm really glad i made change.
Loads of grunt. was running with 3.62 diff but running out of revs at 110mph, changed to 3.14 now tops out at 137!
Everybody i take out in it, is totally blown away by the experience.
A couple of mates who have MNR's with R1's try to keep up...but give up!

Excellent thats what i want to hear, its the increase in torque i was after rather than the small power increase.
137 top, that is ace, ive got a freelander 3.21 diff running 13" wheels 205/60 so a calculated 144 ish at 11k rpm.

However i cannot see it going that fast wind resistance etc, if i get anywhere near 137 like yours ill be over the moon.

I'm going to save your name incase i get any wiring problems, Is that ok by you?

skippad

posted on 4/1/09 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring... i'm afraid that was the biggest headache...with help of mates and malc @ yorkshire engines, between us figured it out...but it took us few weeks.
Yes any queries, ask away....good luck!

the_fbi

posted on 4/1/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Nice sump!

I can see the gate, but can't figure out how its hinged? Is it jut a pin through the top with the return flange just bent over it?

GBaggott

posted on 4/1/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
Nice sump!

I can see the gate, but can't figure out how its hinged? Is it jut a pin through the top with the return flange just bent over it?

Yeah its nothing special just a bracket welded above the cut out holding a pin,
and the gate itself like you say just has a tap on it that is bent over the pin.

The gate only opens in one direction, it allows oil to flow into the pick up area but not out of it.
Simple idea really, i'd never seen it before.

Andy B

posted on 7/1/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
ZX14 sump

George -
just to let you know the baffle plates arrived today - I will give you a call tomorrow ( Thursday) before dispatching, Dave - I did send an email to you to say they were on their way but if your email is anything like mine as soon as it saw the sales bit on my email it probably dumped it into junk file. I have the whole kit in stock now if you still need one.
Apologies for the delay in getting them done but it has to be done right and I was not happy with the early version so re did the whole project, I also wanted to test the sump real time before unleashing them on my customers - to date they have been thrashed sensless on a number of test days with no reported issues.
regards
Andy

thurso

posted on 23/1/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
zx14 sump

can anyone explain where the oil filter or how it is refitted when removed from original fitting

cheers
Len

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.