Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Fail today...
Mark G

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Fail today...

Had my first SVA test today and to say I was nervous would be an understatement to say the least.

PRE SVA PICS HERE

Car on the trailer last night, had to fit my old steel wheels to get it on there as the alloys made it too wide to fit. No worries, thought I'd just change them this morning before the test was started.

So arrive at the test station this morning and say to the guy 'I'll just unload and do a quick wheel swap and then I'll be ready'.

Wasn't expecting the response of 'You can't do that here mate, Its a test station, not a workshop!'.

Bugger, so I had to test on my transport wheels which leave alot to be admired.

Anyway, do the test and it scraped through on the emmisions. My maths is still ok and I managed to work out the speedo settings ok so that passed. The sound test passed. Headlight aim adjusted at time of test so was ok. A couple of raised eyebrows at my rear fog light but decided that it was a pass.

Main fail points were no self centering, no grille so radius fail of the rad, and the aspect ratio of the front tyres don't match and one of them has the wrong speed rating. There were one or two other little things most of which I've sorted already so all in all a good fail.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

Mark

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like the tester was a git (you can tell him I said so) imagine failing the car on tyres he knew were only on for transporting it...rad looks miles inside the car, how did that contact anything??

hope you kicked him in the nuts

[Edited on 6/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good result, well done.

Can i make a suggestion? A nice set of alloys would look better

dinosaurjuice

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
that tester sounds like a bit of a nob 'ed.

could you park outside and change wheels next time?

blakep82

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
you should really have got matching tyres for the front

not too bad though, and you would have failed on self centring anyway, would have been much worse if he just failed you on the tyres

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

omega0684

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
you should have just drove the car off the SVA Centre premises and changes the wheels in the street.

Tester does sound like a bit of a DEK! what station was it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tigertom

posted on 6/4/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
symathy mate.i failed on friday because of self centering.inspector wouldnt let me adjust anything to try and fix it.i explained it was a 4hr round trip and to give me 5 mins to adjust.he said no.although he had kept me sitting outside the centre for 20mins in the rain.needless to say i couldnt hold my tongue.
Jumpy Guy

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Did he mention the headlights at all?

Its been suggested that they wouldnt pass SVA....

Mark G

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
The test was at Avonmouth in Bristol. I'm pretty lucky as the test station is closer to me than my work is so no big deal about having to go back. The tester was actually a nice guy and I feel did a very fair test. If it hadn't of failed on the self centering then I could have probably done all of the amendments this afternoon and tried to get it passed then. I did mention going off site to change the wheels but there would be no point as it still wouldn't have made a pass anyway.

I think next time I'll drive up with my alloys on and hope for a pass. I've just been out to get some of the parts I need to fix it. Just need to work out how to fix the self centering now.

Mark G

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpy Guy
Did he mention the headlights at all?

Its been suggested that they wouldnt pass SVA....

I changed the angle of the lenses in the lights, just had to file another little recess for the lens in the front cap. Took less than 30 mins, I guessed the angle by shining the lights at the garage wall and turning the lens untill it looked about right.

They did need a little adjustment but he didn't really look too closely at them. I thought the beam pattern couldn't have been too great as he did ask me if they were on dip or main beam. The good news is that they passed though.

Jumpy Guy

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
'changed the angle'??

can you explain what you mean?

Mark G

posted on 6/4/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
The lights have a 'flat beam pattern' which actually isn't flat, its a slight v pattern with a 7.5 degree kick on either side. SVA requires a 15 degree kick to the left so I removed the light lens and rotated it anticlockwise (looking at the lens) by 7.5 degrees to give the correct pattern.

I have a couple of photos showing this on my phone, I'll upload them when I get a chance.

Mark G

posted on 6/4/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Photo of the headlight as promised. You can see in the photo that I've had to file a small recess in the cover next to the original one at the bottom of the lens.

stupott901
Builder

Posts 163
Registered 11/2/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: built mk indy blade now got a cobra

posted on 7/4/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
not to bad sounds better than my fail
was your tester tony?he seemed like an decent enough bloke i had him today

can i ask what did you use to cover your suspension and harness clips

cheers stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.