Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Non-working Air Wrench
Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Non-working Air Wrench

I bought an air wrench gun a while back but when I came to use it, it won't work! I'm guessing my compressor is not man enough to drive it? I have got a right-angled one which I have used, but it is quite slow and I bought the new one (a cheaper version of the guns they use in tyre places etc) as they run faster (when they work )

Any ideas or pointers?

JB

I've added a couple of piccies which may help:

The one that works:

Image deleted by owner

and the one that doesn't:

Image deleted by owner

These are not the exact tools but very similar

[Edited on 15/4/09 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

02GF74

posted on 15/4/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
exactly the same here ... are they from Aldi by any chance?

I go mine to work by putting lots of oil into the oil hole then press the direction button so you go through do/undo modes. It is still intermittent but does run.

blakep82

posted on 15/4/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
when you say it doesn't work (this may sound silly) what do you mean?

if you pull the trigger, does air come out the exhaust (the hole above the trigger)
maybe try giving the 1/2" drive a quick twist to see if that helps it on its way. mine does that sometimes, a quick squirt of wd40 or something in the air inlet can help too

it also does the same thing if the compressors not charged up enough (mines a big compressor) so perhaps your compressor is a bit too small for it? they do need a lot of air

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

britishtrident

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
drip some 3 in 1 oil down where the air goes in leave for a couple of hours and work it back a forth a couple of times.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

DarrenW

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
You should be using proper air tool oil (very thin clear oil). The toold need oil every time they are used in small quantities, you can buy oilers that plug into the air line.

Ive stripped an old air tool down at work before ages ago. from memory they were very simple indeed. The issue with the one i repared was that the vanes were stuck in the rotor. They should be free to slide. Centrifugal force keeps them pushed on outside walls of the air motor. All i had to do was remove each of the 4 vanes, fully clean up, re-oil. Re-assemble and it worked again.

Maybe the cheaper tools are made to differing tolerances and are a bit tighter at first.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, not Aldi, but from a show and I think they are probably from the same source?

Air does come out and I have tried spinning it up manually as well as workiing the forward/reverse button several times, it just does not want to play.

My compressor is a 25ltr and I think it quotes 7/8cfm but can't remember at the mo. The air ratchet shown states 4 cfm required and the air impact wrench states 5cfm so I would expect them both to work??

JB

splitrivet

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
As said above squirt some airtool oil down the air input and keep trying, it will come free.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Agriv8

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
vaines have seized. I would lob a load of wd down both and leave to soak. oil with a couple of drops of airtool oil before each use.

only other thisn what working presure is your compresor giving out ?

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
vaines have seized. I would lob a load of wd down both and leave to soak. oil with a couple of drops of airtool oil before each use.

only other thisn what working presure is your compresor giving out ?

regards

Agriv8

Thing is, the wrench is brand new! So wouldn't expect it to be seized?

Not sure what pressure is coming out of the comp. as the guage is knacked!!

carlknight1982

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
check that the wrench doesnt have a power setting on the base of the handle, if its turned right down it wont do anything
Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carlknight1982
check that the wrench doesnt have a power setting on the base of the handle, if its turned right down it wont do anything

Aha! IIRC there is a screw thingy on the base, maybe that's the issue??

Is that like a torque setting type jobby?

[Edited on 15/4/09 by Daddylonglegs]

02GF74

posted on 15/4/09 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
in the photo, bottom of handle on the left is s 4 position knob - try that in each of the positons.

but as before, you need oil.

mine was only used once so is as new and it played up.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Okey dokey. I'll give that a go tonight chaps.

Many thanks

blakep82

posted on 15/4/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
i got my impact wrench from machine mart. the guy there said a squirt of wd40 every use would be just as good as those in line oiler things

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Blue Fox

posted on 15/4/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

Had this problem before with a £500 ingersol rand gun that was brand new, wouldn't go. You need to spray with WD40 type stuff and leave for a bit to see if this sorts it, if not keep spraying the stuff down and trying. Even that wouldn't sort mine so what I did was turn the pressure up as its supposed to run at 6 bar I think so I put mine up to 10 bar and gave it a bit that as encouragement and that got it going. Never had another problem since so think they problably get a bit of damp in them and seize up a bit. As said previously though if you want the gun to last make sure you get some oil for it.

Race Your Fears, Live Your Dreams

David Jenkins

posted on 15/4/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
According to a book I've got at home, you need a large-bore hose to get the best from those puppies...
... in my case, the usual spiral hose wouldn't do the job but it worked just fine with a 1/2" bore hose.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/4/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
At last! Thanks for all the input guys. I took DarrenW's advice and stripped the puppy down, then took some 3-in-1 oil and lubed it up a bit. Finally got it whizzing along

Best I go and acquire some air tool oil!

Thanks for the help guys, as always the site comes up with the goods

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.