Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Arm restraints for Santa Pod?
cloudy

posted on 13/5/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Arm restraints for Santa Pod?

The Santa pod website states:

3. Helmets required for all bikes and open top cars, and any vehicles doing 110 mph or more at the finish line. Arm straps required in open top cars.

Q. Do I need arm restraints in an open top car?

A. If you are running with the roof off then arm restraints are required.

I've not heard of this before - I was thinking of taking R4 down the strip this weekend, have anyone any info on whether they are required? If so any locost solutions? Perhaps involving nylon ratchet tie straps?!

[Edited on 13/5/09 by cloudy]

Volvorsport

posted on 13/5/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
yes , get the proper ones , including gloves .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

gordon h

posted on 13/5/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
yes has been like that for years

bec is best but going to try sabb 2.3 turbo mk

Hellfire

posted on 13/5/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
You don't really need to buy straps. Get some nylon strapping and then sew loops at either end. Slip your hands through the loops and then sit on it. Just make sure it's long enough to enable you to reach the steering wheel and gearstick and you'll be OK.

Phil

Richard Quinn

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
You don't really need to buy straps. Get some nylon strapping and then sew loops at either end. Slip your hands through the loops and then sit on it. Just make sure it's long enough to enable you to reach the steering wheel and gearstick and you'll be OK.

Phil
I trust that's a bit tongue in cheek?
For what they cost, get some proper TRS ones or similar that attach around your harness straps. They're to stop your arms flailing outside of the car in the event of a roll or similar. In the event of a roll, no matter how tight your harness, you're *rse will leave the seat and although your buttocks will clench you will need excellent reactions to be able to grip the ends of the straps between your cheeks in time!

cloudy

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
What happens if you need to exit the car in event of a fire? do you then need to unclip two arm straps too? that doesn't sound sensible...

James

www.warnercars.com

Richard Quinn

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The ones I used a while back had pretty large adjustable loops on the arm end so would pass over race suit, gloves, hands etc with ease. They also fitted next to the buckle on the lap strap so even with a Nascar style harness the harness end would just slide off the lap strap when you undid the buckle. They are normally pushed well up the forearm towards the elbow out of the way. The drivers of some classes seem to wear them around the bicep and some use Kevlar tape to attach D rings to their race suit sleeves.
Antnicuk

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
i didnt know anything about this when i went last month, they said use some rope or similar. I went back to my trailer and cut 6ft off the end of one of my ratchet straps.

I tied an end around each wrist and then did my 4 point harness over the top of the strap between my wrists. Thats what the marshal told me to do.

That way all the time your harness is done up your arms are secure, unclip your harness and you are free to escape!.

Must of worked, i ran an 11.7 but I will get a proper set for next time though

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

Hellfire

posted on 13/5/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

Phil
For what they cost, get some proper TRS ones or similar that attach around your harness straps. They're to stop your arms flailing outside of the car in the event of a roll or similar. In the event of a roll, no matter how tight your harness, you're *rse will leave the seat and although your buttocks will clench you will need excellent reactions to be able to grip the ends of the straps between your cheeks in time!

Nope, not said tongue in cheek at all. I'm talking about a single strap with loops at either end which passes under your ar$e and which you sit on. What makes you think that something you make can't be better, more suitable and safer than something you buy?

Phil

madteg

posted on 13/5/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
What day are you going and i might join you.
Richard Quinn

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:

Phil

Nope, not said tongue in cheek at all. I'm talking about a single strap with loops at either end which passes under your ar$e and which you sit on. What makes you think that something you make can't be better, more suitable and safer than something you buy?

Phil
Ok, now I understand but I still wouldn't make anything safety related myself. Each to their own I suppose but having raced Autograss Specials for a few years and had several nasty incidents, it's an area that I wouldn't trust myself with. When I have the research, manufacturing, testing etc facilities that TRS, Sabelt have then maybe I'll consider it. All IMHO of course!

cloudy

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
What day are you going and i might join you.

I was thinking of Sunday, but it's the special day for tuners, where they charge you £50 in advance for the priviledge! Saturday would be the day, but I was trying to get some photo's taken of R4 in the morning...

James

[Edited on 13/5/09 by cloudy]

www.warnercars.com

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.