Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tow eyes for motorsport
Flamez

posted on 12/8/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Tow eyes for motorsport

What have others done in relation to tow eyes for motorsport on type 7 cars?

Can you utilise the roll bar and front lower wishbones.

Do you have to mark them accordingly.

Or have you had special brackets fabricated and attached to front and rear chassis members?

my build mac1motorsports

mookaloid

posted on 12/8/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
On my Indy I welded a loop on the front crossmember below the nose cone.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

minitici

posted on 12/8/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
These towing eye straps are very useful if you don't want a big lump of metal protruding from the front or rear of your car.
Merlin

Flamez

posted on 12/8/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
These towing eye straps are very useful if you don't want a big lump of metal protruding from the front or rear of your car.
Merlin

Yes I like them, do you velcro the loop up out of the way?

I guess I could also go the locost route and just use webbing around suitable chassis members. I have an old narrow strap in the garage, and its yellow..

my build mac1motorsports

f750sgr

posted on 12/8/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I have a lifting strop secured by shackle to the chassis and passed through the original towing eye. This is a temporary measure to get me through scrutineering before the winter rebuild where a regulation size (60mm) tow eye will be fitted.
Any cloth style material will degrade when exposed to the elements and will probably be useless when you come to use it. Ask the marshalls at a recent 750MC meet who were nearly run over trying to recover a car onto a truck using a strap.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flamez

posted on 12/8/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by f750sgr
I have a lifting strop secured by shackle to the chassis and passed through the original towing eye. This is a temporary measure to get me through scrutineering before the winter rebuild where a regulation size (60mm) tow eye will be fitted.
Any cloth style material will degrade when exposed to the elements and will probably be useless when you come to use it. Ask the marshalls at a recent 750MC meet who were nearly run over trying to recover a car onto a truck using a strap.

Do you need one front and rear?

The rear is easy enough as there is no bodywork hanging over but how do you fabricate and eye for the front to have it forward of the nose?

my build mac1motorsports

andyw7de

posted on 12/8/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
We have recently cut some towing eyes to FIA spec. from grade 6082 T6 Aluminium.

These can be painted either red, orange or yellow for high visibility.

These in plain Aluminium ready to paint are £13 inc Delivery (Forum Rate) (£25 painted on ebay)

i have some available if required

cheers

Andy

blakep82

posted on 12/8/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
i'm pretty sure the roll bar is fine for towing. trying to remember how they do it at knockhill... i'm sure they do

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

procomp

posted on 18/8/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Some clubs are starting to ask for tow eyes that do not protrude like the large metal type . This means that the canvas loops are the easiest solution.

Caution should be taken as many that are sold are just breaking. They are capable of pulling a car on tarmac surfaces but when the car is buried in gravel they need to be quite strong. Hence it's wise to use the ones that are fully FIA approved.

Also towing on the roll hoop is used in some situations. In some such as when in the gravel they will not use this method as it digs the car further into the gravel.

The ones that i use and sell are the TRS ones. TRS sell direct also.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flamez

posted on 19/8/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
many thanks procomp, I'll have a look at those.

my build mac1motorsports

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.